Making Gumpaste And Fondant Flowers With Wire Need Help

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 18 May 2010 , 8:59pm by CakeDivaWannabe

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 11

ok cc again I need your help, I am making a iris cake similar to the one in my photos, Now the one in my photo I just played around and came up up this. I have seen here that for the tulip and other flowers they put wire at the base of the flower petals then dry them and wrap together to make the flower. My wires kept falling off and tearing the 50 /50 gumpaste and fondant petals. I think I need more detailed help. I am going to get a tape or book but I have a cake due in 2 days and I have broken petals everywhere now. Please help

10 replies
nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 11

I use all gumpaste, no fondant in my flowers and they dry harder. You might try that.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 11

Exactly how are you attaching the wire?

Brendabeeper Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 11

I have been placing the wire towards the bottom of the petal aprox 1 1/2 up the flower, have tried less then that aprox 1 inch also (still no luck)
I placed it 1) on top of the petal with a coat of fondant gumpaste mixture on top to cover wire, also tried 2) a thicker base of the petal and insert wire into the base *also tried to place a very small hook at top of wire to "Grab hold" each time it breaks where the wire is.

The wire I am using is a thin flower wire not very thick but not the thinnest out there. ,I let the petal dry for 1 day, maybe I should have let them dry longer?

**thank you for all your help, and trouble shooting for me ( I was afraid if I did all gumpaste that it would Break at the wire and be a very fragil flower? any suggestions?

TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:22pm
post #5 of 11

You may need to use all gumpaste. I would be careful moving it then letting the petal dry before handling it any more.

nannie Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 11

You are using covered wire aren't you. Uncovered (not wrapped with paper) doesn't work.

I let them dry at least a day and even then, I have had them break.

Brendabeeper Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you for all the help, the wire I was using was unwrapped, someone here had photo instructions and they didnt show that they were wrapped, I am going to try them again with all gumpaste and wrapped wire. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP will let you know how it turned out

nannie Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:59am
post #8 of 11

brenda

that will make all the difference in the world. icon_biggrin.gif

the wrapping give the gumpaste something to grab on to.

I should know, I made that mistake too......... icon_redface.gif

we live and learn

TexasSugar Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:24pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

I should know, I made that mistake too......... icon_redface.gif

we live and learn

Me too on poinsetta leaves.

Brendabeeper Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:03pm
post #10 of 11

I want to thank you your help ladies. Your knowledge,experience, and advise helped give me encouragement to complete my flowers. I have completed my double iris cake for a friend's mom's 96th bday I couldnt attach a photo but it is the first in my photos with the light pink cake they requested. cc is yes the best!

CakeDivaWannabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDivaWannabe Posted 18 May 2010 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 11

I purchased a bearded iris cutter and was promised instructions -- the cutter and mould arrived, but the instructions haven't arrived yet. I'm trying to complete my "iris" cake, but it is kind of impossible to do without instructions.. Does anyone have instructions for making a gumpaste bearded iris? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%