Barnes & Noble - Best Cake Deco Books

Decorating By asanchez Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm by jenise11

asanchez Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone.

I got a gift certificate and coupon for barnes and noble. I would like to purchase cake decorating books.

Can you give me some recomendations?

Thanks

14 replies
greengyrl26 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 15

The Martha Stewart wedding cakes book is absolutely amazing. Not much "how to" information, but amazingly beautiful!

FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 15

I love Confetti Cakes books and Toba Garrett Well Decorated Cake for how to's. Just go to BN get some coffee and browse, my local store has quite a few in stock. Have fun!!!!

TexasSugar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with browsing. Look through the book you are wanting. Some are nice books but not really something you may feel you have to have at home.

I was up there a couple of weekends ago and saw alot of cake books. If you are into scratch baking they had some books on that and then the decorating books as well. Just plan a chunk of time and go up there and look around. icon_wink.gif

DLo912 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:10pm
post #5 of 15

The Debbie Brown books are really nice. I just got "Enchanted Cakes for Children" for Christmas and am excited to try one. If you do a search for cake related books on either Amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com, they usually let you look through parts of the book online; I've done this a few times! Hope you find some useful books! : )

AngelaM Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 15

I second Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake". I checked it out of the library a couple weeks ago to look it over and see if it's something I want to buy and I LOVE it.

FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelaM

I second Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake". I checked it out of the library a couple weeks ago to look it over and see if it's something I want to buy and I LOVE it.

I can't wait to try her stringwork techniques. My 0 & 00 tips just arrived yesterday, now if I could just get my kids settled....

metria Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #8 of 15

another vote for Toba. Some nights I study her book before I go to bed!

FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #9 of 15

Have any of you tried Toba's recipes yet? I'd like to try the almond cake.

jewels710 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 15

I vote for Toba too...and the Cake Doctor (and Cupcake Doctor)....I LOVE her books too and can't remember who they are by but you can look lthm up.

Toba's book is awesome though.

Before you spend the cash at the store, check to see if you can check them out from your Library, that is where I found Toba, even before I found CC and heard about her.
At least checking them out fromthe library you can really see which ones you want.

Happy Baking!

newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:57pm
post #11 of 15

I'm a big fan of anything by Peggy Porschen!

FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 15

Oh, and The Whimsical Bakehouse has some good recipes (LOVE the Choc. Chip Pound Cake & whipped ganache) as well as helpful coloringinfo and interesting techniques.

asanchez Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:09pm
post #13 of 15

Wow!!!

Thanks for all the feedback!!

I have a list and wii be going tomorrow.

Keep them coming

JustToEatCake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 7:45pm
post #14 of 15

I've read all Toba's books and if you want to learn as much as you can about cakes the best book in my opinion is Professional Cake Decorating. To me it is the book that teaches the best/most even for a beginner.

jenise11 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 15

Did you know Toba Garrett is coming out with another book? It's titled "Wedding Cake Art and Design", to be released April 12, 2010.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%