Striped Colored Cake Interior?? (Help Please!) :)

Decorating By courtneys_cakes Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm by Nightmares-Dreams

courtneys_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtneys_cakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 27

Hi everybody!

I just received a request to make a wedding cake with colored stripes on the interior of the cake. (I'm attaching a picture.) Does anyone know how to do this? If so, could you please send me directions, or point me in the direction of online instructions?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif
LL

26 replies
Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 27

I would make concentric circles out of parchment paper and stand them up in your pan. Fill each open area with a different colored batter and then remove the parchement before baking. You should get the striping that you need. HTH

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbob1984

I would make concentric circles out of parchment paper and stand them up in your pan. Fill each open area with a different colored batter and then remove the parchement before baking. You should get the striping that you need. HTH

ditto on that.

If that is too much work just layer it with different colors.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 27

Ah, the rainbow cake. Just layer the batter. Doesn't need to be complicated.
I recently got an order for one, but they wanted more defined layers, so I did six layers, each it's own color.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 27

Indeed, if the clients go for it, do the colored layers. I just made one or those for a first birthday and the results were spectacular (and one of these days I'm going to get around to uploading the last dozen or so things I've made!).

Ixtli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ixtli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 27

I gotta try this!

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:36pm
post #7 of 27

I love the stripes in the pic you included, but I think I'd be to lazy to do that! I made a striped cake (easter cake in my photos) and like everyone else, I just made different colour layers. It was a huge hit.

tbittner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tbittner Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 27

Here are detailed instructions on how to do a zebra cake, I would just keep out the chocolate and do it all rainbow colors.
http://leylasroom.com/food-and-entertainment/zebra-cake/

Have fun!
Tracy

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:42pm
post #9 of 27

I recommend a test run if you try the Zebra Cake instructions....I've tried it 2x and the cake sticks in the middle....happened both times. Good luck.

juststarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juststarted Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 27

wow tbittner that's a great tutorial. I would have never imagined you could get that zebra effect simply by layering it.

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:56pm
post #11 of 27

I agree with Leah_s, just color and layer the batter. I just made some rainbow cupcakes about a month ago using a white cake mix and they turned out great! Got good reviews from my friends about how pretty they were icon_biggrin.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #12 of 27

How cool! Gotta try this. Wouldn't it be neat to have a zebra design on both the outside and inside of a tier? Now we've just got to figure out how to do leopard and giraffe! icon_lol.gif

CMTorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CMTorie Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 27

All that extra die doesn't affect the taste of the cake??

tbittner Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 27

I have made it with no issues, here is a picture of mine cut.
The key is the batter must be thin and you need to put lots of layers of color. Mine is far from perfect but when I tried it with a thick batter it did not work very well.

I posted it in my pics because I could not get it to attach.
Tracy

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 8:00pm
post #15 of 27

[quote="CMTorie"]All that extra die doesn't affect the taste of the cake??[/quote

it did for me...yuck! it was fun to look at but i thought it tasted awful.

Marianna46 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 27

Tbittner, I was really interested in seeing your cake, but when I went to your photo pages, I couldn't find a cut cake anywhere. Is it just my superannuated computer not wanting to do its thing right or is it really not there? I'd love to see it!

tbittner Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:45pm
post #17 of 27

They removed it because it is not decorated. You can go to my website and check it out under alloccasioncakes if this link does not work.
http://bittnersbakedgoods.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=47407015

Tracy

dream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dream Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #18 of 27
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #19 of 27

Neat tutorial...I like the zebra striping!!! Thanks Tracy!

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:10pm
post #20 of 27

I did a similar cake this past weekend for a lady's 50th birthday. It was a disco party and the cake was for 40 people. Fortunately the family wanted a half sheet cake so it was easy to make the stripes. I simply made white cake, divided it into 6 bowls and colored them. I then put each color in a large disposable bag and piped each color individually into my pan that I had slightly tilted. It worked great!

I did a trial run and did not like the taste of the cake at all, so I then did another one and added extra vanilla flavoring along with some butter flavoring. This one turned out much better.

I'm sorry that I can't post a photo, but I am just not that savy. Cakes I can do - computers and photos, etc - not yet!

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your photos.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #22 of 27

I made this cake, simply by coloring WASC and then layering that batter in the pan, color by color. The taste was not affected because it didn't take much coloring to bring about the desired depth of color.
LL

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #23 of 27

wow I so want to try this now.

I remember someone told me that you have to make the batter colors pretty bright because they lighten up in the baking process but I dont know if thats accurate.

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:43pm
post #24 of 27

If you do a google search for rainbow cake you will find the tutorial. And if you use organic natural food colors it will not affect the taste.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:11pm
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayerim979

wow I so want to try this now.

I remember someone told me that you have to make the batter colors pretty bright because they lighten up in the baking process but I dont know if thats accurate.

Yes, baking will lighten the color of the batter. So you do have to make the batters darker than you want the cake to end up. However, I think I'd prefer to have a pastel-like rainbow look anyway. I don't really care for the deeply colored ones.

Marianna46 Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 4:51pm
post #26 of 27

Thanks for redirecting me, tbittner. I went to your site and saw it. It's really spectacular! I have to do a hot pink-and-black zebra cake in a few months (a diva cake for my granddaughter's birthday). I'm going to try this in those colors. I'm sure it'll knock her and all her friends socks off!!

Nightmares-Dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nightmares-Dreams Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #27 of 27

Just wondering if any of you have made it in a rectangle pan, I'm making Cake for my son's birthday this Weekend, and I want to make it, But need a big cake. Will it still look the same, any tips on using rectangle instead of a circle pan?

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%