Baking For The First Time.. Help!!

Baking By Knightrised Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm by dsilbern

Knightrised Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to bake (cookies) for the first time ever.. However I encountered some problems which I wonder if anyone here can help me:

1. How to preheat the oven correctly? For example if i set the temperature to 325 degree (as required by the recipe), the timer to 15mins, and once 15mins is over the heating power will be off. The temperature of the oven will slowly drop..

Should I worry about the oven not maintaining the temperature at a constant of 325 degree before I insert in the things that I want to bake?
Usually how fast should you insert in the tray once the oven has been preheated?

2. Should the oven's tray remain in the oven during preheating? Or should I only insert in the tray (together with the cookie dough & baking sheet) after preheating has been done?

3. My oven has a heating coil at the top and at the bottom. Usually to bake cookies (ort anything) on a tray, do you just on the top heating coil, or do you turn on both the top & bottom heating coil?

By the way, my cookies always get over cooked (burnt) when I use the heating coil at the top.

4. The cookies that I baked, turns out to be crispy on the edges, and softer in the inside.. is there a way to make total crispy cookies, likes the ones on supermarket's shelves?

5. Finally, I would like to know usually what will happen to cookies if we added in more flour than what is required by the recipe?

Please help me. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

4 replies
ziggytarheel Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightrised

I'm trying to bake (cookies) for the first time ever.. However I encountered some problems which I wonder if anyone here can help me:

1. How to preheat the oven correctly? For example if i set the temperature to 325 degree (as required by the recipe), the timer to 15mins, and once 15mins is over the heating power will be off. The temperature of the oven will slowly drop..
Do you have an oven thermometer? Your oven should keep a fairly constant temperature, which is necessary to bake your cookies.

Should I worry about the oven not maintaining the temperature at a constant of 325 degree before I insert in the things that I want to bake?
Usually how fast should you insert in the tray once the oven has been preheated?
You can insert your cookie sheet at any time when the oven is at the correct temperature.

2. Should the oven's tray remain in the oven during preheating? Or should I only insert in the tray (together with the cookie dough & baking sheet) after preheating has been done?
Do not preheat your cookie sheet. Actually, a cold tray helps cookies to spread less.

3. My oven has a heating coil at the top and at the bottom. Usually to bake cookies (ort anything) on a tray, do you just on the top heating coil, or do you turn on both the top & bottom heating coil?

By the way, my cookies always get over cooked (burnt) when I use the heating coil at the top.
The top coil is not for baking, but for broiling.

4. The cookies that I baked, turns out to be crispy on the edges, and softer in the inside.. is there a way to make total crispy cookies, likes the ones on supermarket's shelves?
I think this is largely dependent on your recipe and your oven and the size of your cookies.

5. Finally, I would like to know usually what will happen to cookies if we added in more flour than what is required by the recipe?
It depends on the recipe and if it actually needs more flour. It could ruin your cookies.

Please help me. Thanks!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

[/b]

FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 5

Preheat your oven for about 1/2 hour, the longer it preheats the more stable the temperature is. It will work as soon as your oven registers as preheated, but it is better to wait a bit more. The heating power will turn on and off as necessary to keep the temp. constant.

Leave the racks in the oven while preheating, then slide the cookie sheets onto the racks. If you have convection, use all racks, if you are having a problem with evenness of baking, bake one tray at a time on the center rack. You can also rotate about halfway through baking time (flip around so the back is now in the front).

Not sure about your heating coil, are you referring to turning on the broiler???? If so, don't use the broiler for cookies.

Crispy or chewy has more to do with the recipe (and not undercooking). Take out when edges are just turning golden brown.

More flour will make the cookie drier and tougher, stick with the original recipe until you are familar with the results, then you can play around a bit. If you've already added too much to your dough, you may as well bake them and see how they turn out, many recipes are quite a bit forgiving if you've only added a little extra.

HTH. Happy Baking!!!

Knightrised Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the replies.

In the beginning, before I preheat the oven, should I add up the preheating time + baking time, and then set the oven to the overall added time?

dsilbern Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:40pm
post #5 of 5

Don't set the timer for the preheat. Just set the temp and let it heat up for about a half hour. A thermometer in the oven is a great double check.

Set your timer when you put the cookies in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%