1 Or 2 Pieces For Fondant Pillow Cake

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 9 Jun 2010 , 7:23am by jomc

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

I think I can hack the carving part. What I am worried about is the fondant. I do mostly all buttercream cakes, but I realize this one needs to be fondant.

The pillow cake instructions on this site uses on large piece of fondant to cover the entire cake. I've watched a youtube where she covered the bottom half then flipped the cake to cover the top half.

Which way is the best????

5 replies
Melnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melnick Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:31am
post #2 of 6

Lindsay Smith says to do it like the youtube video. It will give a much better better finish if you do it in the two parts.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:44am
post #3 of 6

I have no experience with pillow cakes but I have worked with fondant. I think it would be way easier, less stressful to do it the way they're suggesting, in two parts, top and bottom then cover the seam with a nice rope or even just a rolled piece of fondant. You could even use real fabric trim if you're sick of fondant by then icon_smile.gif

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 6

I don't work with fondant a whole lot, and I was worrying it was going to fall off the bottom due to gravity! Surely it will stay glued to the buttercream underneath?

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 6

Don't worry, if you attach it with buttercream or ganache, it'll stick just fine. icon_smile.gif

jomc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jomc Posted 9 Jun 2010 , 7:23am
post #6 of 6

It is VERY easy to attach fondant to a pillow cake in two pieces. I haven't tried to do it with just one piece but it would seem that it would be very awkard. You have to put an embellishment there anyway so tht it looks like a real pillow, so the seam is super wasy to cover. You can even do a two tone pillow in contrasting colors and designs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%