Fleur De Lis In Fondant

Decorating By Torts Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm by Torts

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:09am
post #1 of 14

I'm making a Super Bowl cake this weekend for the Saints... I bought a fleur de lis shaped cake pan to use on the second tier, but now I'm unsure how the fondant will mold to this particular shape. I've only really tried it on round and square cakes, so I'm nervous I won't be able to mold the fondant into all the cracks and crevaces... any suggestions? Is it even possible to fondant such an intricate shape?

Thanks!

13 replies
luvanrs50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvanrs50 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:08am
post #2 of 14

I'm not an expert, but recently put fondant on my first 'shape' other than a round or square cake. It was a guitar shape. Really the only difference was to just smooth it down in all of the curves with your fingers and kind of stretch it in some places to make it not pucker. I don't know if this helps, but I'm sure it will turn out fine. I'm also making a saints superbowl cake tomorrow. Good luck!

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 14

I guess there will be a lot of us!

I've got a tiered Saints cake for a co-worker's birthday due tomorrow. I did my baking last night and have the decorating tonight. I have many, many little fleur-de-lis to cut out of fondant to apply to the cake. I didn't find a cutter, so I have to use a template. icon_sad.gif

I think your cake should cover fine as long as you don't put the buttercream too thick underneath.

As the previous poster said, just make sure to gently press the fondant into all of the little crevices.

Good luck! I'd like to see the finished product. I bet all of us Saints fans could fill a whole gallery worth with our Superbowl-related cakes!

Torts Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks to you both- I guess I'll go ahead and try it and see how it works. I've honestly only made about 5 cakes, so I don't know if you'll WANT to see a picture, but if I get lucky and it's picture worthy, I'll definitely share icon_smile.gif

mfruchey Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 14

This is my tenth, I think?

Don't underestimate your abilities! Your practicing, which is what counts!

Btw, WHO DAT?!!!!!!
LL

mfruchey Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 14

"You're," rather, lol.

Torts Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #7 of 14

Yours is fabulous! I love it. Mine... didn't exactly turn out like the vision in my head, haha; I should have ordered black fondant in advance... I tried stocking up on Wilton at hobby lobby but they only sell it in the itty bitty packages for 10 bucks each, so I had to stick with mostly gold(ish).

And it's slightly lopsided... I've never really tried to dowel anything before, so that didn't turn out will either. And the fondant issue? Well, that didn't go ideally either.

Haha, so there were a lot of problems... I should probably at least go take a Wilton class or something... but I was still happy with the final result!
LL

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 14

You did a grat job! But let me encourage you to take the classes. With a good instructor you can learn so many little things that will help you in the future. I take classes anytime I can get to them. And I ALWAYS learn something.

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 5:30pm
post #9 of 14

I think it looks great!! Really nice!!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:00pm
post #10 of 14

I love it both the cakes are awesome. I have been looking for a pan like that, do you mind me asking where did you get it. I would love to get one TIA

Torts Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:07pm
post #11 of 14

Here's where I ordered it:

http://www.mardigrastabletop.com/bvfleur.html

It's silicone, but worked out much better than I expected!

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 14

thank you so much, I will order it. I have a few silicone pans and love them. I make yeast rolls in the cupcake ones all the time and they come out so cute. Thanks again. I really like your cake. You did a great job with it. WHO DAT

greengyrl26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greengyrl26 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 14

Both of these cakes are absolutely adorable, and original! Great job!!!

Torts Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 11:28pm
post #14 of 14

mfruchey,

I meant to ask- I love the balls around the base... what product did you use to get such a great gold?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%