Best Way To Do Navy Swirl Design On Buttercream?

Decorating By sunnyrunner Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm by TexasSugar

sunnyrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnyrunner Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 2

I am doing a cake that has 3 square layers, frosted in buttercream. We are going to do a design in alternating corners that has navy blue swirls (there will also be fondant paisleys). I have a couple of thoughts about the best way to do the design. I have a design sketched for each tier (the design is on all sides, so each sketch will need to be replicated 4 times). Each sketch has 3-4 swirls in it. Could you let me know which you think would be best?

1. Make a "stamp" by tracing the design with white chocolate onto acetate, and pressing that into the cake, then tracing over it with thinned-out buttercream. This was our original plan, but I'm nervous about having no margin for error with navy frosting on a white cake.

2. Today I saw something online about tracing the design ON the acetate with royal icing, then letting them harden, then attaching the design to the cake. We hadn't considered this, but it sounds like it would be a little easier. Has anyone ever done this method? What would be the best way to attach the swirls?

Which way do you think is better? Or is there another option that we haven't considered? Don't want to freehand the design on all 12 corners, LOL.

1 reply
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 2

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1423342

On the above cake I actually piped the design on pieces of glass from picture frames in royal icing. After it dried I used that to 'stencil' on the design. I liked this because the glass stayed hard so I didn't have to worry about it moving around on me.

I can't freehand for anything, so there was no way I could have done that with out having something behind it.

As far as doing it in royal and attaching it to the cake, it would depend on the design. If it is really delicate you my find yourself breaking alot of them, there for you'd have to pipe plenty extra for back ups.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%