Need Suggestions On Frosting Recipe For Birthday Cake

Baking By Oliveoyle80 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 2:47am by Jeep_girl816

Oliveoyle80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oliveoyle80 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 9

i am attempting to do a sheet cake with a Mickey Mouse clubhouse theme on it. (all done in frosting) I am looking for a frosting recipe that I can use to both frost the cake and decorate with. But i don't want it too sweet. if you want to see what i am trying to attempt here is the link to the cake: http://tv.disney.go.com/playhouse/grown-ups/celebrationcenter/recipes/mmch/recipes5.html
i want a good tasting frosting just not sweet. Please help! Party is Saturday Feb. 6th. Also, any opinions on covering cake in fondant rather than frosting?

8 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 9

Did you want a crusting or non crusting frosting?

Oliveoyle80 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 9

really not sure. This is the first that I am even attempting to do something like this. Guess i need more help than i thought. The cake will be set out on display if that makes a difference.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 9

You need to do a buttercream if you are putting it out on display, try searching the recipes tab on this site - lots of great recipes there! A lot of people use Indydebi's Buttercream, or Sugarshack's buttercream. You could also do fondant, although if you've never worked with it, I'm not sure I'd cover the cake with it for the first time 3 days before the party.) You could use fondant for the decorations, it would be easy enough to trace them and cut them out, and then place them on the cake.
Hope that helps!

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 9

Like djs328 said, a lot of people like Indydebi's buttercream recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

You may want to consider a frozen buttercream transfer for the clubhouse decoration so you can trace the pattern directly: http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer It does say to use a frosting with at least half butter; if you use Indydebi's recipe, just substitute butter for half of the Crisco.

Good luck!

Oliveoyle80 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 9

Wow! thank you for the quick responses! saffronica thanks for the frozen buttercream transfer link. Definately going to use that! Now i'm not too worried if I screw up the clubhouse cause i can always start over!

I saw a post on the buttercream recipe that you can add salt to cut down the sweetness of the frosting. Any idea of how much salt to add?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 9

You can cut the sweetness a little with salt but it's made with sugar so it's going to be sweet. You also have to make sure your salt is desolved well or it will cause spots when the icing is colored.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:02am
post #8 of 9

I would say just a pinch. You can also try a little lemon juice for the liquid. That works well for me, too. icon_smile.gif
Good luck!!!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:47am
post #9 of 9

I would use IMBC, silky smooth and not to sweet, a bit involved to make, I don't think I could pull it off without my stand mixer, but sooo worth it! It pipes nicely and is fine for display as long as it doesn't get too hot (think summer outside) due to high butter content and butter content makes it perfect for buttercream transfers! Try it you might just get addicted to it! Here's one to try: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2015/italian-buttercream-meringue-frosting

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%