Purse Cake ??? And Pricing??

Decorating By cakesbyshell Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 2:59am by KKC

cakesbyshell Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 3

I've had my first request for a 3-D purse cake and I've read the tutorial on here and that seems easy enough but does anyone have any templates for the handles and such or do you just "wing-it"?

Also, I'm not even sure what to charge for such a thing. They want it covered in fondant and I'm planning on making my own but I'm just not sure what a fair rate is for these. Any help is appreciated!!

2 replies
mandymakescakes Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 4:57am
post #2 of 3

Planet Cake has great step-by-step instructions for purse handles in their book... they use clear plastic tubing, like that used in fish tanks, and cover it with fondant. Dowels are inserted into the ends and pressed into styrofoam to dry... see my cake picture in my gallery. I found the tubing at Lowe's, but any hardware store will do, and it comes in several sizes. Also, search the galleries here for purse cakes, there are a lot of terrific ideas to emulate. As for pricing, charge per slice, plus an hourly wage for yourself and round up. HTH

KKC Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 2:59am
post #3 of 3

When I do my handles I just wing it...and make a few more just in case i get breakage. For ALL of my 2D & 3D cakes I start at $6.00 per serving and my minimum serving is 25, and I charge higher if the design is more difficult.

Quote by @%username% on %date%