Findning Out Where And How Someone Died

Lounge By mellormom Updated 12 Feb 2010 , 12:28pm by mellormom

mellormom Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 16

Is there a way to find this out that is free or of little cost?
I've been searching on-line but most sites cost to much.
I know the persons name date of birth, State where they were born, and year of death but that is it.
I just need to find out how my dead beat Dad died so I can know my medical history.
It is not worth paying for because The Death certificate may only say natural causes and then I have waisted my money. (what little I have. LOL)
I've looked on the obituary websites but there was nothing.
Thanks in advance for any help on this matter. icon_smile.gif
Also, don't feel bad for me. I haven't seen or heard from my dad in 30 years so it isn't a sad time for me. icon_smile.gif I just found out yesterday that he died in 2002. My Mom was doing Social Sec. stuff and the lady oin the phone found out. She also told my Mom she is intitled to Soc.Sec benifits because she was married to him for over ten years so she will now get $3,000 by the time it is all said and done! Yeah Mom! LOL

15 replies
yummy Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 16

WOW! I can't help you, sorry. I just felt the need to respond but don't really know what to say to you. I guess I can say good for your mom. I wish you well and for you to have peace at this time.

MnSnow Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 16

That information should be available at the county in which he died. It shouldn't cost anything as it is a public record. You may need to go to that county's court house. In fact, it may be available online with that county court houses website.

mellormom Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 16

We don't know where he died just that he did. I now have his SSN so that should help. Thanks for trying to help! He was also in Vietnam so I can check that avenue.

LaBellaFlor Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 16

Don't they also have to register that stuff with the state? I wonder if you can contact a state department and they can guide you.

mellormom Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 16

We don't even know the state he was living in. We haven't heard from him in over 30 years so he could have been anywhere. He may have settled at his parents place in Sandy Idaho that they had when they were living but I'm not sure.
I'll let you know if I find out anything. icon_smile.gif

quilting2011 Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 16

Try County records in Idaho

mellormom Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 16

thanks I will try that.

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 8:44pm
post #9 of 16

You might try the social security office. When my MIL was looking for my husband, she went to the social security office and they told her what city he was working in and offered to send a message to him through his employer. If they would do that much for a non-emergency concerning a living person, it seems like they would probably tell you what county he died in, giving you some idea where to look.

gpe Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:15pm
post #10 of 16

you might want to try this ...

social security death index ...

should give you the last redsidence ...

Alot of times on GenForum a "search angel" will help look up info from that state / county ... death certificate info (which will usually list an informant) and an obit to contact relatives .....

You need help on Genforum just hollar ..

mellormom Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 16

Gpe: Thanks for the sight! There is a number 72 in the last residence colum. Do you know how to figure out where the number represents?

gpe Posted 9 Feb 2010 , 9:30pm
post #12 of 16

from what i read here it doesnt stand for anything ...

is that all thats listed there ??? just a 72 ??
i've never seen that before ...

adonisthegreek1 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 2:10am
post #13 of 16

I've had the misfortune of losing loved ones. The death certificate lists the exact cause of death.

mellormom Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 11:49am
post #14 of 16

it said 72 and the in another column it said Idaho
We think he lived in Fernwood Idaho but that is only a theory based on the info we have gathered. We are going to request a death certificate from Idaho and hopefully get one. icon_smile.gif
Thanks everyone for your help!

gpe Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 11:14am
post #15 of 16

If you want to try the Genforum route and need some help --
just yell ....

St. Joseph, Michigan[/b]

mellormom Posted 12 Feb 2010 , 12:28pm
post #16 of 16

I'm ordering w death certificate from Idaho so hopefully that will turn up something. icon_smile.gif Thanks a lot for your help! We found out he was in Idaho because of the roots sight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%