Fondant Figures. What Do You Use?

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm by ZoesMum

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make Mickey Mouse. I am using 50/50 fondant gumpaste mix and finding it is really heavy. I think I need some structure (bones) so that Mickey will be able to stand up.

1. For your figures, what medium do you use?

2. Do you use some kind of support system? RKT's, Wires, etc. If so, what?

3. When modeling how do you achieve a smooth finish?

Thanks so much for helping me!

3 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 4

I use a combination of things depending upon how big the figure is. I made a Bear out of cake and then used rice kripy treats for the head, arms and legs. After shaping everything, I covered it with buttercream and then fondant. You could also cover it in ganache which will dry smooth, but that will add some weight to it. I attached everything with melted chocolate and some toothpicks for added stability.
I also made an Abby Cadaby figure (that sat ontop of a cake) completely out of rice krispy treats. I only use all fondant/gumpaste if the figure is very small.
Hope this helps.

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 4

Everything that I have ever made started with a base of RKT. I have tried without it but never get the stability that I need. I cover them with a thin layer of BC and then fondant. Still haven't perfected it, but it works for me.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 4

Depends on the size of figure that you are doing...I've had good success with smaller ones with the 50/50 gumpaste fondant. Some folks use spaghetti for structure (since it is still edible). You can also use wire, just make sure that the people getting the cake know that it is non-edible. I've never done bigger ones, so can't help you there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%