Essential Tools For Basic-Intermediate Cake Decorating!

Decorating By jilly_bean89 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm by tiggy2

jilly_bean89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jilly_bean89 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 7

Ok all you AMAZING cake decorators out there...this one's for you!

I live in a small town, and I do all sorts of cakes, on the side, for friends, family, etc...and have for years.

I realize my cake knowledge is very basic, so I am trying to continue to build my experience and cake supply inventory. Nothing has been more helpful than reading the forums and looking at the cakes that everyone has submitted.

My main questions are:

Are there any techniques (buttercream or fondant) that EVERYONE should know?

and

What are some essential tools that every decorator should have (buttercream or fondant.....mainly fondant for my interests)?

Thank you to everyone in advance and keep up the good work...the cakes are AWESOME!!!

6 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 7

jilly_bean89,
Hey there welcome to CC. I dont know where you live but you should look into taking some Wilton courses. They are taught at stores like JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, and Michaels. They have 4 courses that teach you starting with the basics of butter cream. They go into fondant and royal icing flowers, tired cakes, and some more advanced fondant and gum paste techniques. Good luck.
Mrcake01

jilly_bean89 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the tip MrCake. I guess I "understated" my abilities. I went to Culinary School and am a certified baker. My biggest problem is lack of time to perfect my cake skills and lack of specific tools/utensils necessary. I've included a picture of my Halloween cake that was done this year.

I managed to put together great cakes, but I feel like I'm using basic items around my house, to achieve looks that would be easier if I had.. (cutters, templates..things of that nature).

Any other ideas!?! icon_smile.gif
LL

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 7

Essential tools #1 = Agbay.

Essential tools # 2 = SPS

Essential tools also - very good, heavy turntable, good storage so that you can find your stuff.

MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 7

Jilly_bean,
Your cake is awesome. Thanks for the clarification. My suggestion still stands. I also went to culinary school. Almost 12 years ago. The reason I suggested classes is so you will get an exposure to techniques and the tools to do them. When I started decorating I only did fondant and I couldnt do a butter cream rose to save my life. But after taking classes I understand the reason why they are so important. Like I said I went to culinary school also and never really knew the basics. In the culinary school I attend which was ACF certified they mainly taught some of the advanced techniques like marzipan, pulled sugar, specialty pastry. So some of the basic were just touched on. So I really never understood. Some of my 1st cakes were made by using household items. Almost like MacGyver I just used what I had. The classes will give you exposure to tools and techniques and even when you take the classes you will have to purchases some tools. As a success of the classes Ive just started teaching the Wiltons method so like I said the classes will really give you some insight into basic cake decorating. Feel free to look at my pictures and you will see that the 1st ones I loaded on CC were all fondant. But now there is a lot of butter cream ones too. Also if you do get to look at them there are some of the final cakes that I had to do so you can see some of the techniques. Also if you look on Wilton.com you will see some tutorials that may help.
Mrcake01

jilly_bean89 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #6 of 7

MrCake...you are absolutely right! Even though I only attended school a few years ago, the exact same thing is true. Although I did learn how to do do all buttercream and NO fondant or gum paste... I think it would be a great idea to find some classes around here and just get another look at the different ideas and techniques.

Thank you so much for your response. I'll keep posting photos and checking out everyone's creations!!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 7

Check out Global Sugart's website for tools and toys. You'll just have to decide what might be usefull to you as everyone has different needs (and wants). I just bought a cricut for cutting gumpaste/fondate but it's not something everyone would want or use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%