Gumpaste

Decorating By cgm_cakes Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm by Rosie2

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 10

I've just really started playing with Gumpaste (the CK powder mix) and am having a really hard time figuring out the consistency. I make the mix per pkg directions and find that it's still too soft to mold and hold shape so I mix in a little more powder at a time until it's no longer sticky and I can make a flower or other object that holds it's shape. Problem is, I find that it "looks" dry once it's dry and often has small cracks. icon_redface.gif

Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks! icon_cool.gif

9 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 10

i beleive the cracks after its dry could mean you need to knead it more. then again, if you are adding too much ps, that wont help.
i buy ready made, so im sorry im not sure what the root of the problem may be, is it one that needs to sit for a while before you use it?
xx

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 10

I personally don't like the CK mix. You might try using a different gumpaste. I've had better luck with Bakels thenm I did with the CK mix.

cgm_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks. CK is all my cake supply store carries. I do have the supplies to make it from scratch so I might try that next time.

As always, practice is the answer. icon_biggrin.gif

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #5 of 10

Sorry to hijack this thread, but quick question. Has anyone try the Wilton gumpaste? the one that comes in a can and you mix with water??? if not, what is a good recipe? I'm making a gumpaste ring and a bow...am I too late to if the cake is for this Saturday??
Ok, thank you all!

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 10

I don't like CK mix either. Just made another batch of Nicholas Lodges gumpaste and that is my favorite. Great elasticity and stability. Sift your PS though, that is a tip not listed on the website. I learned it from fellow CCers.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

I also like Satin Ice ready made gum paste.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:33pm
post #7 of 10

I think that one is also on Ednas site? (designmeacake). I've been using it and it's fab. Elastic, doesn't dry too fast, really forgiving for a newb.

Rosie2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

I don't like CK mix either. Just made another batch of Nicholas Lodges gumpaste and that is my favorite. Great elasticity and stability. Sift your PS though, that is a tip not listed on the website. I learned it from fellow CCers.

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

I also like ready made gum paste.

SugarMomma you're awesome!! I was going to run and look for the recipe icon_smile.gif
Quick question...if I make this gumpaste tonight I guess I shouldn't use it till tomorrow right?...do you know if that will give me enough time to make a steady gumpaste ring to go on a cake this Saturday afternoon?? I'm traying to make an engagement cake for my daughter and I will be putting a gumpaste ring with a jewel and I'm afraid I'm too late to make the ring icon_cry.gif

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:12pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, it has to cure overnight for best results but you have plenty of time to be ready by Saturday, don't sweat it!

Rosie2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarMomma

Yes, it has to cure overnight for best results but you have plenty of time to be ready by Saturday, don't sweat it!

Ahhhh, thank youuuuuuu. I will make the gumpaste tonight and the ring and bow tomorrow icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%