How Would You Suggest I Do This?

Decorating By deb12g Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm by azeboi2005

deb12g Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 6

I have a request for a shotgun shell cake. She doesn't want the shell standing, she wants it laying on its side. I was thinking of using round cake pans, cutting a slice off one edge, then standing them next to each other. How would I make sure it stays together, along with putting chocolate fudge filling between each layer? Do you think this idea would work?

5 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 6

I think it would work, especially covered in fondant.

brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

as long as your cake is reasonably sturdy, it should support its self fine.

mandymakescakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 6

For my Gucci Watch cake, the wrist band is made of 8" rounds cut into quarters and set on edge instead of being stacked and carved. SO much easier! What if you stack and frost the cake in tier-like sections as though you're making a barrel cake, chill and then assemble the tiers on their sides using buttercream or ganache between the tiers so by the time you get to your crumb coat, it's on it's side just about ready for fondant? I hope I explained that well enough. Or maybe... assemble it as a barrel cake, run a dowel through the middle and use that as leverage to lie it down on it's side, and then use it to stand it up again for cutting/serving. The dowel end can be incorporated into the shell casing design somehow... this is a fun challenge! Can't wait to see how you solve it! icon_biggrin.gif

Donnagardner Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:00pm
post #5 of 6

I made a chap stick cake and I used 11x15 cut in half and stacked then rounded the sides to look more like a cylinder shape of the stick. Look in my pics.

azeboi2005 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 6

As long as your filling is a stable filling it should stay. That is how I did the pill bottle cake in my photos, actually i used 2 10" cakes cut in half and stacked on it's side. if you are worried why don't you fill stack and then refrigerate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%