Baking Supplies Storage??

Decorating By leannelove Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 4:08am by Sugarchic

leannelove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leannelove Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 9

I was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of how they store their baking supplies, all of mine is just in boxes and i wanted to build/buy some storage shelves to be better organized! i have 400+ cookie cutters that are all in big plastic baggies in storage totes. if you have any pictures or suggestions, please let me know!! thanks

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 9

There is a huge thread on this subject, can't find it but maybe someone else will post it for you.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 9

I wish I was at home I would send you a picture. I went to hobby lobby and they have something called a Scrap Booking desk. It was $999 but you can use the 40% coupon so it was $600. I know that sounds like a lot but I could not have designed a better desk for cake supplies. And I got ALL of my cake supplies out of my regular kitchen cabinets.

Ok I just googled it and someone built one very similar. http://www.jenniferscrapshack.com/2009/05/scrapbooking-craft-desk/

So at the top where the small shelves are for scrap book paper the hobby lobby desk has removable shelves, I take out 1 shelf and I can fit my cake pans up there up to 12 inches across in each shelf and I can usually stack a few that will nest(the 12 inch pan fits but that's it). In the middle I keep larger stuff like my large rolling pin and supplies I don't want to keep in my pantry. Just like in the picture there are small shelves on the side of the large open area where I keep sprinkles.

There are drawers under the pan section where I keep all my cutters and fondant tools as well as piping bags etc.
There are large drawers on the bottom for gumpates and fondant. There are small drawers on the right that I put miscillaneous stuff in such as candles and decorations that don't go elsewhere.

My only complaint is for larger pans it doesn't work but I am able to place them on top and out of the way but I only have a few. I highly recommend this desk. It was worth every penny. Oh and it looks really nice too because it folds up and no one will ever know what you're hiding in there. Everyone just assumes its a computer desk.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 9

I went to Target and bought some of those 9 cube units to put in my cake closet. I have the fabric bins for small things like cookie cutters, luster dusts, colorings, stamps, and stuff like that. Each bin is labeled on the front and is fairly sturdy for carrying around the house if needed. I also took some shoe shelves from Target, stacked them on the shelf that was already in the closet and made a nice cake storage place. Everything is easy to get to. The tops of my 9 cube units are also lined with cookbooks.

I love this set up in my house, but it won't work for everyone. I know I wouldn't like it if I couldn't close the closet doors to hide my cake "obsession".

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 9

My husband made this for me for Christmas. You can't really see behind my kiddos, but it is really deep and the shelves are adjustable. It also has wheels, so I wheel it into a closet I have by my kitchen when I'm not using it. All of my pans, fondant, cake books, and supplies fit in it perfectlyicon_smile.gif I was so excited! My cake supplies were taking over my kitchenicon_sad.gif
LL

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #6 of 9

Becky - You are one lucky lady. That is a very nice shelf. icon_smile.gif

I totally understand about cake supplies taking over the kitchen. In my case, they were taking over my dining room so I converted my big hallway closet into a cake closet.

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 9

Mine are just on a baker's rack in the kitchen. However, I got a bunch of plastic shoeboxes and bigger plastic covered boxes to use. It wasn't until I used a label-maker and put labels on each one as to exactly what went in it that it really worked. I put items generally used at the same time together and then listed them on the labels. Much easier to just take down the boxes I need and I can always find my stuff.

However, my cake pans are upstairs in my sewing room...

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:25pm
post #8 of 9

Those little totes on the top of that shelf (pic above) are from Target. They work really well because you can see what is in each one and they stack and lock together. There are all different sizes too!

Sugarchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarchic Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 4:08am
post #9 of 9

I have my pans and fondant in my laundry room it has a closet with shelves in it. Books and cake dummies are in the closet under the staircase.Molds,tips, flower cutters, ribbon,etc are in the coat closet stored in clear plastic drawers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%