Hello. I'm New Here. Thining About Starting Cookie Cake Biz

Business By CCC2010 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:37pm by cakesdivine

CCC2010 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys,

Awhile back my wife found a recipe for a giant cookie cake. Every year she would make one for my birthday and take it on our annual camping trip. Every time we would have different people camping with us they would always comment on how awesome the thing tasted. And it does, it tastes fantastic! So, I got to thinking, why not sell them?? We've sold a few in the past year or so and always get good feedback.

So, I, like a lot of people have become addicted to the shows on TV nowadays. Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, Cake Challenge on Food Network. I'm thinking I can make these cookie cakes really cool by adding fondant shapes, etc. My avatar is one I made just this weekend for a bowling party a friend of mine had.

Anyway, I've become addicted to this idea. Possibly even branch out into making cakes too.

Has anyone here made a business out of cookie cakes?? My dream would be to open a storefront in town (we live in a really cool small town). It seems like the possibilities are limitless. I have so many ideas. lol

4 replies
mommy1st Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 5

check with your health department to make sure you can do this. There is a demand for cookie cakes (their not as messy as cakes), so go for it.

CCC2010 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 5

Here are some of my ideas (any feedback is welcome):

1. Have as many flavors as possible by mixing doughs and chips. i.e. choco chip, peanut butter chip, caramel, mint, etc.

2. Get a metal shop to fabricate different shaped cookie pans. (peace sign, ying yang symbol, sports balls, etc.)

3. Different batters that you can mix and match. If you want half chocolate chip, half peanut chip. Half chocolate dough, half regular dough. etc.

4. "Create your own" Kind of like a pizza where you can add toppings.

I can actually envision a little shop that sells all this stuff. I just wish I had the fundage to start it.

CCC2010 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy1st

check with your health department to make sure you can do this. There is a demand for cookie cakes (their not as messy as cakes), so go for it.

I'm in contact with the Health Department now actually. (I just started the process)

It does seem that there is a demand. Right now, if you want a cookie cake you have to go to the mall and get an overpriced one from Mrs. Fields. I've never had one, I'm sure they're good but too expensive.

cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:37pm
post #5 of 5

I think you will find, once you have a shop overhead, that your prices will climb to be close to or maybe even more than hers since you are wanting to do fondant type work on them as well. She only does basic buttercream designs. And you won't have the volume to be able to purchase ingredients as low as Mrs. Field's can.

Where are you located? Your state may or may not allow an inhome bakery. Glad to know you are talking to the local HD first. That is always the first thing to do when wanting to open a bakery or any kind. I wish you luck! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%