Please Review My Upcoming Website For Your Critique

Business By surgery2 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm by Sagebrush

pearlydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearlydi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:41pm
post #31 of 46

I think there must be a thread about what's legal and what is not, especially for newbies like me.

surgery2, i think photo gallery should be in capital letters also.

sweet12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet12 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:45pm
post #32 of 46

Well, i think your website looks nice, although there are a few spots that may need tweaking for better advertisment. I agree with a PP that you should 'center' it leaving your wallpaper on each side of your page. Maybe, just a suggestion, you can write your titling as

Country Cottage Confections
'a baking affair' <--put this is italics maybe and center it...??

That way it leaves your business title as the main attraction of the page to see who you are.
Basically just trying to 'center' everything. I would take out the 'baking affair' in the top left because you already have it underneath your biz name. alos a suggestion, i would take the 'We offer a variety of Baked Goods' and place it maybe a little lower and larger than what you are offering so the two subjects dont run together and it sort of seperates the 'goodies' from the title. Its best for better advertisement to always seperate your subjects because it gives the consumer the 'concept' of you offering 'more' than the average Joe and also helps the consumer to 'think' they are getting their monies worth. Also, to notate on the subject of being bothered with those that are criticizing your biz and standards...for one you did ask for 'brutal truth' on your page and also, i know its not the subject of health standards vs your webpage, but quite possibly they are looking out for you because if you are going thru all this effort and prob are spending a lot money, you are placing on your page that you are a 'home-based business' you dont want to be shut down and fined for not being within the standards of your laws in your area because that could quite possibly happen especially with you publicizing your business as such on the 'world-wide web' (solid proof of you working within your home). So, as long as YOU are in the right and have completed your research and are rightfully within the guidelines then you are set to go! Good luck with your biz and your webpage~

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #33 of 46

When I first looked at your site I thought there was alot of unused space on the right. I know you are still working on it but I would like less of the pink design area. I agree with many of the other design comments about the border and such. Have someone proofread everything. When writing information, I think it is important to try to make it so clear that questions about pricing and product are reduced or easily answered on the site. You probably have done this, but look at other sites for examples, especially the big successful ones. Good luck!

_Jamie_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_Jamie_ Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlydi

I think there must be a thread about what's legal and what is not, especially for newbies like me.

surgery2, i think photo gallery should be in capital letters also.

Are you suggesting that there be one, wondering if there is one, or stating that there is one somewhere? There is. In the business forum. Right at the top.

pearlydi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #35 of 46

Thank you Jamie! But let's keep the thread on helping surgery2 with her website!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:23pm
post #36 of 46

No. She doesn't want help, even though she asked for "brutal honesty". She wants only "great job".

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:40pm
post #37 of 46

Actually I would like to clarify, I did jump thru the hoops, I am an LLC, legally done by my attorney, I have a business license, pay business taxes as well.I paid my money for all those things just like everyone else. Do you think I would start something without doing those things, In this day and age. I think not! LOL

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:47pm
post #38 of 46

I would like to thank the posters that did critique the website. That was very helpful. I asked for criticism on the website. Thanks again.

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:00pm
post #39 of 46

Whether this makes any difference or not, I am a male, not a "she"

LOLOLOL !

pearlydi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 10:09pm
post #40 of 46

Sorry Surgery2, He!! LOL icon_biggrin.gif , LOL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:46am
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

Actually I would like to clarify, I did jump thru the hoops, I am an LLC, legally done by my attorney, I have a business license, pay business taxes as well.I paid my money for all those things just like everyone else. Do you think I would start something without doing those things, In this day and age. I think not! LOL

Oh, you'd be surprised. Check out myspace or craigslist if you want to see plenty of people who didn't do anything that you did and are still advertising. It boggles the mind.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:18am
post #42 of 46

Looks good, I'm sure you are working on the few tweaks.

(and if you go to the Wilton forums, you won't get any snarkiness...not to say you're getting any now, just saying the group there is less judgmental.)

but it is good to know the law, and it sounds like you do.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:22pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

According to our dept of health, you can produce non potentially hazardous bakery products from a home, as long as 1) follow the strict labeling, 2) sell from a roadside stand or farmers market, which i do.

That's new information to us (that you sell from a farmer's market), and that's how I/we understand the Farmer's Market Bill to work. You didnt' say anything on your website or in these posts about "i only sell at Farmer's Markets". Your website said "I'm a home based business", which sounded like you were running a business out of your home.

On the one hand, I can understand how you got so upset because you were operating under the Farmer's Market bill. Yet on the other hand, I can't understand why you got so upset because you left out the very important info that you sell only at Farmer's Markets.

So for website feedback, I'd recommend adding some info on where folks can find your products.

"Our items are available at the blah-blah Farmer's Market every weekend. ORder your items in advance for easy pick up at the Market!"

vtcake, I'm' confused on what you are calling "judgemental". I can't see any judgemental comments. Just concern that a CC'er is posting on her website that (looks like) she is running a home business in a state that doesn't really permit it. I have a friend/caterer who was busted by the health dept because they were looking on the 'net for websites, with orders to "shut down the home food businesses." ....... right here in Indiana. I don't want to see that happen to a fellow CC'er.

However with the new and add'l information about how the OP is set up makes it a different story .... info that none of us knew when we questioned the wording on her site, and voiced our concern.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #44 of 46

Amen - Debi icon_smile.gif
Just reread all the post just in case I missed something the first time about all the bashing and judging. I guess I don't know how to read through the lines enough to come to his conclusions. All I saw was honest concern and help.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #45 of 46

We need to add this ot the CC dictionary:

Bashing and Judging: Any question regarding the legality of a business regardless of the poster's clearly stated explanation of their intent in asking.

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #46 of 46

On your Cakes - Flavor options page:

Standard flavors are bulleted, but centered on the page. Pick one or the other, the two formats do not look good together.

Also, standard flavors are listed one item per line, but the rest of the information is listed sentence style. Be consistent... treat all lists the same, especially within an individual page, but preferably all throughout your site (I would personally choose the one item per line option... it's cleaner and easier to go back and find something you remember later).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%