Please Review My Upcoming Website For Your Critique

Business By surgery2 Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm by Sagebrush

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:43pm
post #1 of 46

please be brutal. its still a work in progress.

www.countrycottageconfections.com

45 replies
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:57pm
post #2 of 46

Is it legal to be a home based baking business in South Bend? That's not my understanding of the recent Farmer's Market bill. icon_confused.gif Does your county have an exception?

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:58pm
post #3 of 46

I like the setup..Easy to read..I noticed you didn't offer a Vanilla cake in your standard cake choices...You may want to consider that.Looks good from what I can see...

MnSnow Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:31pm
post #4 of 46

You may want to check your spelling

under the cake balls you say there own paper and it should be their

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 46

with the new HBV law, it is possible to bake at home, just follow the labeling rule, I checked with the Health Dept. Each county will interpret the law differently.

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 46

and I sell at the local Farmers market as well

dailey Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:21pm
post #7 of 46

i'm surprised that south bend would allow this?? ( i live relatively close to you). i talked to the HD (i currently rent a commericial kitchen) and they said the new law clearly states that you cannot bake cakes from your home and sell them to the public. how are you getting around this? would love to know!

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 46

"aka: Cottage law" allows baking of non potentially hazardous products . Now this said, each county "interprets" the law differently, even each Health dept employee "interprets" the law differently. In Elkhart county, which is a stone throw away interprets it completely different.

dailey Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:54pm
post #9 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

"aka: Cottage law" allows baking of non potentially hazardous products . Now this said, each county "interprets" the law differently, even each Health dept employee "interprets" the law differently. In Elkhart county, which is a stone throw away interprets it completely different.




i understand what the new law states about baking non-hazardous products. however, how are you getting around the fact that you cannot *sell* cakes from your home? or are you only selling from a farmers market?

Jenn2179 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 46

Well you say that you add $.25 for premium flavors but you don't give a price for standard flavors.

needy2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:56pm
post #11 of 46

If each employee is going to interpret it differently, then I would base my business on the strictest employee, as they are most likely the one who will fine me if I'm doing something incorrect.

Ednarooni Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:15pm
post #12 of 46

Didn't read all the replies so it may have been noted already..My son is helping me do a website so I was all but happy to see yours.lol He says you need a website address icon...look at the address bar for this site and to the left of it is a little cake. I NEVER noticed it..lol..but he did..lol

Also, are you selling your cookies $8.00 per dozen? That just seemed a little cheap to me..but I'm not sure how big your cookies are...

All in all it looks pretty good.. CONGRATS on your new website, I'm excited for ya!!

Babarooskie Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:32pm
post #13 of 46

I'm sorry, but I thought this topic was for feedback on a website- not a debate on legal vs illegal?

icon_rolleyes.gif

metria Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 46

have your main content frame centered on the page instead of on the left.

Image

metria Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:51pm
post #15 of 46

I love what you're saying here, it's so cute:

" We Want to be a part of your Day "

but I prefer the capitalization to be:

"We Want to be a Part of Your Day" or

"We want to be a part of your day!"

metria Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 46

the black border around the images at the top of the page have inconsistent widths:

Image

metria Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 46

the pricing page kinda confuses me because the information isn't in list form. i prefer separate vertical sections for each product.

Image

Instead, something like:

Chocolate Fudge Brownies
<description>
<price>

-----------------------------------------

Cookies
<types / descriptions>
<price>

-----------------------------------------

Cake Truffles
<description>
<prices>

Sorry for all the screenshots, it's just easier for me to get my ideas across. I'll take them down if you like.

cakesbybert Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I'm sorry, but I thought this topic was for feedback on a website- not a debate on legal vs illegal?

icon_rolleyes.gif




I think the reason this has been brought up - they don't want the OP to go to all the trouble and possible expense of putting up a website, if in fact it is not legal to bake from home and possibly putting herself out there for a fine if the right official would see her website.

It nice to have people willing to watch your back.

indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:36pm
post #19 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I'm sorry, but I thought this topic was for feedback on a website- not a debate on legal vs illegal?

icon_rolleyes.gif



She asked for feedback on her website and her website states she is a home based business in a state that many of us do not take as having "Cottage Laws", like in Ohio. My/our feedback is concern to make sure she is not setting herself up for a legal problem.

I've talked to legislators and health dept officials. None of them are under the impression the Farmer's Market Bill allowed blanket food production in a home for resale.

indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

with the new HBV law,


Be sure you're looking at a current final version of the bill. The original proposal was called (something like) the Home Baker's Bill, or Home Production .... it had the word "Home" in it ..... but it was drastically changed in name and context to the Farmer's Market Bill, with reference to "Home" obviously and purposely deleted. The final version was much changed and narrower in scope than the original proposal.

dailey Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babarooskie

I'm sorry, but I thought this topic was for feedback on a website- not a debate on legal vs illegal?

icon_rolleyes.gif




i live in Indiana so this is why i am asking the op these questions. i would *love* to be able to bake from home and sell cakes to the public (as opposed to renting a commerical kitchen, like i do now). however, i highly suspect the op has been given the wrong information. the new law DOES state that you CAN bake from your kitchen BUT only if your are selling at farm stands, craft show, etc. you are not allowed to sell and advertise to the general public as this makes you in direct competition with other bakeries. that is what the HD told me...

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:57pm
post #22 of 46

I just have to say, I am so sorry I even bothered posting on here.

According to our dept of health, you can produce non potentially hazardous bakery products from a home, as long as 1) follow the strict labeling, 2) sell from a roadside stand or farmers market, which i do.

All this debate about legal, illegal gets way out of hand, just because someone is legal and has an inspected kitchen, doesnt in no way shape or form mean there kitchens are as clean as when they get there inspection. I know this as a fact as I am a CDM CFPP in the state of Indiana, get routine Inspections at all of my long term care facilties that i work in and I can say, as a blanket statement, Kitchens are not all clean 100% of the time. granted they are clean for inspections to pass, but come on, we are humans and things are not always as they seem on "inspection" time.

That said, I might get blasted for saying that. But I will NEVER post on this website again. Back and forth with the legal, illegal. most customers are smart enought to know that just because a kitchen is "inspected" , doesnt mean its always that clean. This is the REAL world.

surgery2 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:03pm
post #23 of 46

Anyway , I have 6 licensed inspected kitchens that i can bake from. so I will just change the wording on the website, and bake from one of my kitchens that are licensed. Does that please everyone? Probably not , as I dont have to pay or rent to use them for my use.

dailey Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:07pm
post #24 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by surgery2

I just have to say, I am so sorry I even bothered posting on here.

According to our dept of health, you can produce non potentially hazardous bakery products from a home, as long as 1) follow the strict labeling, 2) sell from a roadside stand or farmers market, which i do.

All this debate about legal, illegal gets way out of hand, just because someone is legal and has an inspected kitchen, doesnt in no way shape or form mean there kitchens are as clean as when they get there inspection. I know this as a fact as I am a CDM CFPP in the state of Indiana, get routine Inspections at all of my long term care facilties that i work in and I can say, as a blanket statement, Kitchens are not all clean 100% of the time. granted they are clean for inspections to pass, but come on, we are humans and things are not always as they seem on "inspection" time.

That said, I might get blasted for saying that. But I will NEVER post on this website again. Back and forth with the legal, illegal. most customers are smart enought to know that just because a kitchen is "inspected" , doesnt mean its always that clean. This is the REAL world.





geeze, why in the world are you getting so angry? when i read your post, i seriously thought you might have found a *loophole* to get around the new law here in Indiana, lol! but i guess not icon_sad.gif it just seemed that way since you had a website and all...

Mensch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:08pm
post #25 of 46

Dude, unclench.

No one said anything about inspected kitchens being cleaner. You are the only one who did that. Did you ever think that folks were concerned that you were wasting time and money on a website when you had been given the wrong information? Being 'legal' doesn't necessarily mean cleaner, everyone who has ever worked in a restaurant knows that, but it does mean that one has jumped through the hoops, paid the fees and taken the courses.

As for 'NEVER posing on this website again' (which, by the way, you have already posted), well, don't let the proverbial door hit you on......

Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:09pm
post #26 of 46

Can't take the heat...Get out of the Kitchen thumbs_up.gif ....HA!HA! ..I crack myself up... icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:14pm
post #27 of 46

Another example of if you don't like the answers you get, the people doing the answering must be big old meany pantses! icon_rolleyes.gif

Mensch, is that a young HR in your new avatar? I can't tell but if it is he was awfully thin. Or is it someone trying to look like him icon_wink.gif

Mensch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:17pm
post #28 of 46

yup. He's a funny man, ol' HR. Still angry after all these years!

cakeaddictunite Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:27pm
post #29 of 46

Gonna add my 2 cents worth.................... in the OP it said "please be brutal. its still a work in progress. " hmmmm you asked for it and you got it!!! maybe next time dont ask! icon_evil.gif

motherofgrace Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:38pm
post #30 of 46

you have to expect the "legal" questions because

1) the rest of use (most of us) try very hard to BE legal
2)People in your area, just want to know how you got around it, cuz maybe they could use it to thier advantage.
3) No one wants to see anyone spend alot of time and money (we know how much it takes of both for a web site) when you might get shut down!

Now, what was asked before was "DO YOU JUST SELL AT A FARMERS MARKET?" , so why couldnt you just answer?

You cant ask for brutal, and then expect butterflies (whuich you have been getting IMHO)

Here I will do it as well!

Can you be brutally honest about MY website? www.sweetheartconfections.blogspot.com

GEEZ LAWEEZ!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%