Filling The Space Void On A Sheet Cake

Decorating By beckbeck77 Updated 8 Feb 2010 , 3:44am by jammjenks

beckbeck77 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 11

the biggest problem i have is filling the void on sheet cakes when the customer doesn't have a theme or idea on the design of a cake. like on full sheet cakes, i can't write happy birthday to fill the entire cake. i don't have a clue on how to fill the blank areas and to make the cake look really nice but not look like it came from a supermarket. is there a book i can get to teach me ways to fill the blank areas on a cake? help.

10 replies
Kitagrl Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:30am
post #2 of 11

I make them give me colors or a theme or something... (I don't do alot of sheet cakes but it can apply to any cake). Then I make them narrow down..."is flowers okay" "What about plaid or stripes or dots?"

One of the first things I ask people is "what are you decorating with" and "What colors will you be using" and that usually helps alot with the design.

pearlydi Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:35am
post #3 of 11

In addition to the color and theme, sometimes I ask how old is the person, what's the ocassion and what she likes, maybe a hobby.

djs328 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:15am
post #4 of 11

I like swirls and scrolls, b/c you can start in the corners and fill as much as you like...did this on my pink baby shower cake w/the footprints on lettering wasn't as big as I planned, so I just kept 'scrolling' until it looked ok! icon_smile.gif

kjt Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:56am
post #5 of 11

When I have "sheet-cake-block" icon_razz.gif , I look at the cakes in Cakery's gallery for inspiration.

She has some great designs and enough cool borders to fill a book! Here is a link to one of her cakes, that way you can just click on her name and "view all photos by Cakery".

HTH icon_smile.gif

Jeep_girl816 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:22am
post #6 of 11

I like swirls, scrolls and polka dots ( just not all on the same cake! lol!)

Mme_K Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:00am
post #7 of 11

Here's a sample of another one who does fabulous sheet cakes, Adria_NyxxTX:
If you just click on her name from there, you'll see what I mean. I can always spot one of her cakes...... always gorgeous. thumbs_up.gif hth

CakeDiosa Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:45am
post #8 of 11

Here's another one to look at. It's the only I've ever saved to favorites and the only one that would ever inspire me if I did take an order for a sheetcake. I would have never thought you could make it so clean, current and gorgeous!

Evoir Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:14am
post #9 of 11

beckbeck77 Posted 7 Feb 2010 , 7:29am
post #10 of 11

thanks for all your help. the pictures are awesome and will be a big help

jammjenks Posted 8 Feb 2010 , 3:44am
post #11 of 11

Here's a good way to fill space. All you do is use tip#2 and squeeze with heavy pressure. The lines will naturally be squiggly like that and it looks so dressy. This one was for a pastor appreciation dinner last fall.

Quote by @%username% on %date%