How Hard Is Fbct?

Decorating By whisperingmadcow Updated 14 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm by aundrea

whisperingmadcow Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #1 of 19

How hard is it to do a frozen buttercream transfer? I have a spiderman cake I want to do for my sister this weekend and I saw a video on how to set them up. But I am a little nervous as I have never done it before.

Is it very hard? icon_confused.gif Does anyone have any tips or pointers? Does the BC set up pretty well? Once it comes to room temp, is it more likely to break well transporting? Any advise is welcome!!! thumbs_up.gif

18 replies
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 19

very easy icon_biggrin.gif

BethHansen Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:22am
post #3 of 19

I've done a couple of them. They are very easy to do, but take forever! Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time and be prepared for your piping hand to get very sore.

Make sure your cake is iced and ready so you can flip the fbct onto your cake as soon as you pull it out of the freezer. Once it thaws, which only takes a few minutes, it behaves just like any other buttercream iced cake.

Good luck!

poohsmomma Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 19

The first one I ever did was a spiderman. It takes a while to pipe all those spider lines and fill them in, but it's really very easy. I told my niece that I made the cake for that it was so easy she could have done it.

HTH. Good luck and post pix.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 19

I'd say it isn't hard at all. Of course when my students ask me if it is easy or hard to do something they never believe me when I say it is easy. They say everything is easy to me. Not true, of course, but they have a point. It is hard to judge what is hard or easy for someone else.

I've done many of these over the years. The hardest was the FFA Emblem in my photos. That one took me almost 2 hours the first time because of all the detail lines being piped in such a small tip.

Depending on your design though (the fish one in my photos as an example) some can be done really fast.

I really like this because I can pipe the FBCT out while the cake is baking or cooling and then as soon as it is iced pop it on there. It saves in decorating time since it can be done in advance. icon_smile.gif

ladee_bugg Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 19

This is my first time posting a question and I have the same one as whisperingmadcow.

I am making a cake for Feb 13 with the Trans Am bird. I thought it would be easier to do a buttercream transfer than to freehand it on the cake.

I practiced last night and this morning I took the transfer out of the freezer and it looked terrible. Mind you I only piped the white colour for the bird and wings, just to try it out.

I have four questions: 1 - would you pipe the thinner white lines throughout the wings after putting the transfer on the cake or before? 2 - Will the black icing on the transfer match the black icing on the cake once it is defrosted? Will the colour change/deepen due to freezing? 3 - Will it be possible to paint on the gold food colour to the thawed out buttercream? 4 - Should I just use royal icing instead?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.
LL

TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 19

1 - would you pipe the thinner white lines throughout the wings after putting the transfer on the cake or before?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=78793

Everything in this one was piped on first then frozen. For your picture I'd pip the thicker lines with a #4 round tip then go back and pipe the smaller ones in a 2 or 1. Then fill in with the black. I'd pipe between the thick and thin line then fill in the bitter sections.

2 - Will the black icing on the transfer match the black icing on the cake once it is defrosted? Will the colour change/deepen due to freezing?

I've never noticed a color change. In all the ones I have done I use the same icing to pipe the borders or dots or what ever else I need.

3 - Will it be possible to paint on the gold food colour to the thawed out buttercream?

Yes. After it has crusted you can paint on buttercream. Personally I'd use the Americolor's gold coloring in the icing. That is what my FFA emblem is out of. Then if you want the shinnier effect coming back over it with some gold luster dust. You will just have to have a steady hand.

4 - Should I just use royal icing instead?

You could. That would be a different thing though. The look will be slightly different and it will need to be done ahead of time so it has plenty of time to dry.

What didn't you like about the one you did last night?

kikibakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:49pm
post #8 of 19

Very easy! icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 19

Hmm, with the firebird I wouldn't pipe the black if the whole cake is covered in black icing. Only pipe the outline of the bird and place that on the cake. I have a logo this weekend that I am doing and the entire interior is white so I am only piping the color parts.

ladee_bugg Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 19

Thank you so much TexasSugar for the detailed reply. Your FFA emblem is awesome and gives me hope that I can accomplish this transfer.

I was disappointed this morning when I looked at what I piped because my lines were broken and there were bubbles and empty spots where the icing should have been. I couldn't see that from the top so I will have to be extra careful with the final version.

As I was piping last night the icing was melting from the warmth of my hand. I may have to use a couple of piping bags and switch them back and forth to the fridge.

I will have to make the small lines inside the wings thick enough to paint with a brush. I just ordered some Americolor gold sheen to paint on because I can't find gold food colour in Canada. I tried to make some mixing orange and yellow, but it turned out orange. I do have gold lustre dust though.

Thank goodness I have until next Saturday to practice. Thanks so much for your help. Will let you know how it goes.

lecrn Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 19

If you can color, you can do them. icon_lol.gif

I actually prefer chocolate transfers over BC. You can make them way in advance, & you can store them @ rm temp. They can be used for the sides of your cake as well. I use clear overhead projector sheets & they come out very shiny.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:46pm
post #12 of 19

I pipe mine on wax paper that way I can flip them over and see what the top looks like. icon_smile.gif

cgm_cakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #13 of 19

This has been such an interesting thread, I'm going to have to try one (never done them before).

Do you use your regular BC icing to make the FBCT?

cakesdivine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 19

I do. My buttercream doesn't crust though, but you can use crusting BC too.

TexasSugar Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 9:15pm
post #15 of 19

I use my regular (all crisco) crusting buttercream for them.

You can do it with all butter and the butter/crisco recipes as well.

I don't see the point of making a special recipes just for them.

ladee_bugg Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 19

Hello,

Thank you again for all your help. I thought I would update you on how the cake turned out. I tried the buttercream transfer and it didn't work for me, think my icing was not stiff enough. I used royal icing and did a practice trace of the picture, flipped it onto a fake cake and it worked.

Yesterday when I transferred the pattern for the real cake, the royal icing was thick and sort of floated above the cake. I really could not think of a way to flatten it withouth breaking the icing. In the end I traced around the royal icing with a toothpick. This left a rough sketch on the top of the cake and I free handed the bird.

I am disappointed because I planned the cake so well (I thought) and it didn't come out the same as I imagined. The royal icing was bumpy and the gold food colour I painted on did nothing to hide this. My DH said the bumps made the bird look 3D icon_smile.gif

The birthday boy loved the cake and I guess that is what matters most. Will just keep practising and learning as I go along. Thanks again for your help!
LL

juststarted Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 1:57pm
post #17 of 19

what are you saying! your cake looks amazing. your freehand piping came out nothing less than a FBCT. in my personal opinion it looks better because most of the times FBCT sits on top of the cake and many people don't like that effect. I wish my piping was neat like yours. and the gold on black looks gorgeous.

ethanriley Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:22pm
post #18 of 19

not to change the topic, but can you use a FBCT on fondant?

aundrea Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 3:53pm
post #19 of 19

your cake came out awesome! be proud of your work. even if it didnt turn out like you had planned.
and you're right as long as birthday boy loved it-thats all that matters.
sometimes when things dont happen as planned-the final result is even better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%