Need Expert Edible Images Advice

Decorating By tsal Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm by tsal

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I'm making a cake next Friday that will require a small edible image, and then another cake 2 weeks later that will require a few small edible images. I would be able to fit all of these images onto one sheet.

The local grocery store will print a sheet for $15. Here is my question:
Would I be able to print up the sheet and cut out the edible image that I need for next Friday and then put it back in the ziploc for another 2 weeks until I need the remaining images or am I asking for trouble?

Another question: I used edible images for the first time on Sunday. It was a series of small graphics that were to be cut out seperately and placed in different locations on the cake - all of the graphics were printed on one sheet. I had the sheet printed up on Thursday and kept it in the ziploc bag they gave me until I needed them. When it came time to use them, I found that the came off the backing really easily - in fact a little too easily - the images were a little brittle and I broke a tiny piece off of one of them and had to be *really* careful to avoid doing the same to the others.

The people at the store told me to keep them away from humidity at all cotss, but it appears that they dried out. Any advice so that I can avoid this in the future?

4 replies
bubblywhitewine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblywhitewine Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #2 of 5

I've printed things several weeks in advance, I keep them in a zip lock bag. It sounds like your paper might be a little old, after a while they do dry out and become brittle.

MORSELSBYMARK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MORSELSBYMARK Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:48am
post #3 of 5

They brittleness could have been from the images being too cold. You can keep the unused images in a sealed bage with air removed. I've done it a room temperature for two weeks, and they were good as if I just printed them.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:54am
post #4 of 5

As Morsels said, they could have been too cold. Another thought is that the bag wasn't completely sealed. Our homes (or shops) can be a little drier in winter because we have the heat on. If there was even a small opening in the bag, the sheet could have started drying out. When properly stored, images can be usable for a very long time.

Oh, also could have been that the sheets were older. The older they get, they seem to dry out a little faster.

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone. I noticed that the ziploc they gave me was the one that the package of edible image paper came in so I probably got the last sheet and maybe it was old.

I'll try keeping it super sealed next time and see what happens. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%