Crumb Coat

Decorating By ktmarieb Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 6:37am by JanH

ktmarieb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktmarieb Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:28am
post #1 of 5

What is a crumb coat and how to I apply it?

4 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:12am
post #2 of 5

It is the coat you put on just before the fondant that makes the fondant stick to the cake. It is usually BC, but you can use cream cheese, ganache or other frosting/icing. It should be thin, transparent and as smooth as you can get it (ganache is a bit thicker).

I often use a hot knife to smooth mine. It also prevents imperfections in the cake from showing through the fondant and allows for a smooth finish on the fondant. It is called a crumb coat because it mixes in the crumbs with the icing.
HTH

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:27am
post #3 of 5

some people use crumb coat .. before applying next coat of american buttercream or imbc, smbc,etc. apply first coat litely. let set up.. then apply final coat... of whatever buttercream you are using.. hth

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:03am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

some people use crumb coat .. before applying next coat of american buttercream or imbc, smbc,etc. apply first coat litely. let set up.. then apply final coat... of whatever buttercream you are using.. hth

By doing this it eliminates crumbs in your final coat. (I thought I would add this because I remember someone once ask how to keeps crumbs out of the icing when icing their cake.)

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 6:37am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%