Need All You Guys Expert Advice Please!

Decorating By pj22 Updated 5 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:55am
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

I found loads of helpful info here and there's so much you all know... I can read CC all day and keep learning new stuff every minute!

I am making a huge birthday cake for my son's first birthday. There's going to be about 200 people.

I am looking for a good from scratch cake recipe. I read a lot of good reviews for A Better White Scratch Cake (http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2165/A-Better-White-Scratch-Cake)

Do you think it would be advisable to make the cake for 200 people? The recipe says it will yield 10 cups of batter. I have the Wilton 12x18 pan (http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?sku=2105-182)

I was thinking of making 2 - 12x18 cakes side by side and topping them with a 13x9 cake.

Will I have to double the cake recipe? Or do you think I am better off making the cakes from a cake mix (Duncan Hines?)

I was also thinking of making the cake a day in advance so I was going to let it sit out on the kitchen counter. What buttercream recipe would you guys suggest that will stay out overnight and not spoil?

Can you also please suggest some good fillings? I was thinking of making the white cake with a filling of Cheesecake flavored instant pudding. I haven't tried that combo but if anyone has, will it work? What fillings can I use that will stay good if the cake sits out overnight?

I really appreciate any advice. Thanks so much for reading!

14 replies
krzykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krzykakes Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #2 of 15

Hi. I'm new too, so I don't know how much help I'll be. I've always used cake mix for my cakes. I fill my pans half full to make a full two inch high layer. Here is a link from Wilton concerning batter amounts for the two inch pans:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

To make my batter go further I use a cake mix extender that I found here on CC. I love it. It seems to make my cakes moister.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-651941.html

As for my fillings, I tend to use the sleeve fillings. Not too creative, but it works for me.

Good luck !!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:38am
post #3 of 15

Wow, that's more people than I had at my wedding!

You need 15 cups of batter for each layer you bake in the 12x18 pan.

A 1 layer 12x18 serves 50, if you make it 2 layers, it serves 100.

If you stack a cake onto another cake, you will have to have the top cake on a cake board and dowels inside the lower cake to support the top cake, otherwise the top cake will sink into the bottom cake.

All buttercream recipes can be stored at room temp for at least a week without spoiling.

If you use pudding as a filling, the cake will require refrigeration. You can use jam or ganache as a filling and it will not require refrigeration.

Good luck! That's a huge cake!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:50am
post #4 of 15

Hi,
That is a mighty cake. I am making a wedding cake for 200, calculated with the chart it is a 8, 10, 12 round stacked cake, plus I will need an extra 10 and extra 12. I have made the Better White Scratch Cake in the 12 inch round tin, the ten cups was great I found, I made two, leveled, torted, filled, iced, and they came out the right height. So maybe if just the one cake it would be 8, 10, 12, 14? or 16?

pj22 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:41pm
post #5 of 15

@krzykakes: Thanks for letting me know about the cake mix extender recipe. I didn't know such a thing existed! So I guess I'll use cake mix for the cake.

What are sleeve fillings? Can I use them without refrigerating the cake? Are there any alternatives?

@prterrell: I had 900-1000 people at my wedding!! icon_biggrin.gif So 1 layer would be the cake with one layer of filling inside?

I was considering ganache as well but do you think it would be a hit with the kids and adults alike?

Are there any recipes on CC that you have used and don't need refrigeration?

I'll appreciate all of you guys' guidance on this!

Thanks so much!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 15

You're going to need (4) 2" tall 12x18 cakes to feed that many people. Maybe if you told us the design you're thinking of we could help you plan the sizes and amounts icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:12am
post #7 of 15

One layer is just one layer of cake, no filling.

Two layer is a layer of filling sandwiched between two layers of cake.

Ganache is very yummy, but very rich and (of course) chocolatey.

I don't even know as many people as you are inviting to the birthday, let alone to your wedding!

pj22 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 15

Thanks for responding!

Here's the idea that I have in mind - http://www.wilton.com/idea/Ariles-Splashy-Celebration-Cake

Since it is my son's bday... there won't be Ariel of course but I was going to make an octopus and a small fish that will sit on top of the cake.

I was planning to make the royal icing decorations and the molded shell and starfish candy in advance.

So as foxymomma521 said that I'll need 4 cakes 12x18 in size, I was thinking of keeping 2 side by side and topping that with a 13x9 cake and place the octopus and fish on the 13x9 cake.

Thanks for all your help!

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #9 of 15

I'm a newbie myself so I don't have all that much info for you. Just a crazy idea. Someone said you'd need 4 sheet cakes to feed that many...what if you put them side by side and iced/decorated them as one GIANT sheet cake? You wouldn't have to worry about stacking and it would be a crazy huge cake for your crowd. icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:29am
post #10 of 15

900 - 1000 at your Wedding - ????????? icon_eek.gif
Was the whole Town invited - icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

Bluehue thinks to herself - Do i even know 900 people icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

icon_smile.gif

pj22 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:36am
post #11 of 15

The giant sheet cake would be hard to decorate and take 40 minutes to the party hall that we are renting icon_smile.gif

Bluehue... weddings in India are GRAND!! The whole community gets invited from both the bride and the groom's side icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:44am
post #12 of 15

Don't forget that the 13x9 must be on a cake board and you need dowels in the cakes underneath to support it!

pj22 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 3:21am
post #13 of 15

Yes, I will have the dowels in place icon_smile.gif

Which buttercream is the best and sturdiest to use? Because I will be keeping the cake out overnight after assembling it.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 5:16am
post #14 of 15

I can see how a jagundo cake would be a problem to move. But now I want to do one! I could make one at work and decorate it where it would be served...hmmm.....

Anyways...

I recently tried Sugarshack's recipe and really liked it. I've had consistency issues and this one was really great to work with and OK to leave at room temp. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a fussbudget about food safety. Occupational hazard - I'm in healthcare foodservice.

pj22 Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 11:44pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks dsilbern! Where do I find Sugarshack's recipe? Do you know of any fillings as well that will stay good at room temperature? I know ganache is an option but any others that you know of?

It'll be great if it will stay well at room temperature. It will be impossible to refrigerate the cake once I fill and assemble it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%