Cake Cracked Under Crumb Coat...thoughts On What Happened?

Decorating By aej6 Updated 6 Feb 2010 , 12:33pm by ttehan4

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there

I crumbcoated this 3 layer 10 inch cake last night...came home tonight to finish it and as you can see it has cracked! I'm not too worried (should I be more worried??) but would like to know why so to avoid this in the future.

Do you think the board was too thin? I know it is too thin for the long haul but I only moved it once on the thin board....was that enough to crack it? Or are my frosting layers in between too thin for this much cake?

Any thoughts or feedback is greatly appreciated!!
LL

6 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 7

Did your cake layers have humps? If they were not flat that could be the cause of it.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Did your cake layers have humps? If they were not flat that could be the cause of it.

Exactly what I was thinking of.

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:26am
post #4 of 7

I thought they were flat....but possibly not!!! I didn't think of that...hmm....

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 8:51am
post #5 of 7

Did you take it from the freezer? Your cake could of been too cold when you iced it.

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 7

Hmmmm, my vote would be that your transfer board "gave" just a tad...that's enough to cause the crack.

I'm curious, did it crack anu more, did you fill the crack with spackle, how did it turn out? icon_smile.gif

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 7

You can see cracks in the icing from the weak board, so that is probably what happened. And if your cake had not rested long enough the bend of the board would definitely make it crack.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%