First Timer Needs Advice.

Decorating By bullet09 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 12:59am by kiwigal81

bullet09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bullet09 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 11

I have just started this new hobby in Oct 09. I have fell in love with it. I am self taught and have only picked up new ideas and techniques on TV shows and internet. I know tools make a big difference and I starting to get my share of some. Is there any advice or tips out there you guys can share for a beginer. I appriciate it very much. Thank you in advance.

10 replies
adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 11

thats awesome that you are into cake decorating! You will like CC because we are all addicted to it icon_biggrin.gif How did you get into the hobby?
Lets see-when I first started I took Wilton classes at my local Michaels and that did help-they have 4 classes and its pretty cheap. Books and CC are also great for advice and creative ideas. As far as tools the must haves for me are my turntable, my leveler, tips in all sizes and decorating bags, and I always keep a stock of ingredients to make frostings and fondant. Once you get further along its really nice to have tools to help you make different types of flowers and stencils to make cool designs etc...
As far as books-if you are a baker that uses a cake mix I would definitely check out the Cake Mix Doctor-its a book that extends the recipes and gives you made from scratch flavor.
there is ALOT of info on here-I credit CC to making me what I am today so I hope you have alot of fun and keep posting so we can see your progress icon_smile.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 11

Welcome to CC. I'm sure Jan the moderator will be here in a bit to give you all the Superthread links (everything you ever wanted to know about anything) In the meantime, I highly recommend Google as a way to search this site. There is an advanced search on Google where you can point it to Cake Central, but I've had good luck with just entering "[seach term] cake central" Also, most of the acronyms in the forums have a little dotted line under them. That means that if you hover your mouse over them, a little bubble will pop up with the translation. Finally, I've noticed that the more specific you are with your questions, the better responses you'll get, so try to include as much information as possible (and also be specific in your subject line.) HTH.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 11

Here's a list of basics equipment you'll need. I found it very helpful

http://www.cakejournal.com/archives/basic-cake-decorating-kit

One thing though, dont buy something unless you KNOW you are going to use it immediately and use it a lot. Cake stuff can get expensive and you wont use half the stuff you buy if you're not careful. TRUST ME icon_cry.gif

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 11

Oh but instead of the sugar gun, get the Makins clay extruder - much cheaper and easy to use. You can find it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018BOXWQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

sugarjones Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarjones Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 11

If you're just decorating as a hobby and don't need anything super professional, I would recommend getting Michael's, Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby (depending on where you live) coupons (online or in-store) and buying one pricey item each week or so at 40-50% off. It's a super cheap way to build up your "tool box". Have fun!! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarjones

If you're just decorating as a hobby and don't need anything super professional, I would recommend getting Michael's, Joann Fabrics and Hobby Lobby (depending on where you live) coupons (online or in-store) and buying one pricey item each week or so at 40-50% off. It's a super cheap way to build up your "tool box". Have fun!! icon_smile.gif

Good advise! There are always coupons floating around.

bullet09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bullet09 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 11

Thank you guys so much. This really helps. I sculpt models out of clay and work on model cars. My boys wanted me to make a Birthday cake for them and every since I've been hooked. I like it as a hobby but I have a big family and they have friends and now I'm making everyone's cake. Thanks again. Love the people on this site very nice and helpful.

Teresa1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teresa1976 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:10am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstbni

Welcome to CC. I'm sure Jan the moderator will be here in a bit to give you all the Superthread links (everything you ever wanted to know about anything) In the meantime, I highly recommend Google as a way to search this site. There is an advanced search on Google where you can point it to Cake Central, but I've had good luck with just entering "[seach term] cake central" Also, most of the acronyms in the forums have a little dotted line under them. That means that if you hover your mouse over them, a little bubble will pop up with the translation. Finally, I've noticed that the more specific you are with your questions, the better responses you'll get, so try to include as much information as possible (and also be specific in your subject line.) HTH.

Remember this google search tip, I just found this out today and it works fantastically. this is the only way to search Cake Central.

cupandcake81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupandcake81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:33am
post #10 of 11

Welcome to CC these women know everything!

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #11 of 11

Keep your eye out on auction sites. I haven't spent much yet, but found a couple of bulk bargain lots from people not decorating anymore, things like the cutters, rolling pin, unopened colours, lots of stuff. Have funicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%