Please Review My Project Strategy???!!!!!

Decorating By Donny13 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm by Donny13

Donny13 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, you guys have been very helpful, and i thank you so much for that! Im down to the wire now and i just want to make sure that this will all come together correctly for this saturday. Im making an engagement box w/ring cake

What ive done so far: bought ingredients and cake mixes, made engagement ring, flowers and Congratulations lettering out of fondant and its all stored in tupperwares.

My plan of attack!
tonight (tuesday): make MMF and dye it black (cake & cake box), make butter cream icing-put in fridge

tomorrow night (wed) bake and cool 2 10X10 square cakes & cover a gift box with aluminum foil and and gel and cover in black fondant, let dry for assembly on friday night.

friday night-cut 1st cake horizontially fill with mixture of buttercream and rasperry jam top with second layer, install 4 dowels put down a cake board repeat with second cake then cover whole thing with butercream and fondant, top off with ring and apply letters, i plan on assembling the box top after i transport it to the barty on sat. night.

Thank you all in advance for you valuable input, but please respond ASAP as time is of the essence, i will be starting everything tonight!

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:00pm
post #2 of 6

i think you need to review the cake assembly part. it just sounds like your not leaving any time between the crumbcoat and the fondant. could be a mistake, you need to give the cakes a chance to settle. (i think general wisdom is 4 hours with something heavy on top, over night if you just leave them to it)

you may want to crumbcoat the two 'tiers' seperately too. you dont really want the bottom tier to settle, and suddenly have your dowels coming up over the bottom cake - i dont know, but it might cause fondant problems having air trapped in there.
xx

tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 6

I would fill and cover with BC on Thursay night and let it settle over night before adding the fondant on Friday to avoid blow outs. Be sure to put a stiff BC dam between each layer before adding the filling so it doesn't ooze out. If your tupperware is sealed tight you may want to open it so your items don't get soft.

Donny13 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 6

see this is what im talking about, you guys r so helpful! I thank u so much for your timely response!

tiggy2-problem is i dont really know what a "blow out" is....but i will take your advice with no hesitation icon_smile.gif and good call on the "damn" and the tupperware, i was under the assumption that the tighter its sealed the harder it will stay, i will unlock them as soon as i get home.

brincess-b- after reading countless postes, i thought that the butter cream has to be still soft to adhere to the fondant? (god i have a lot to learn.. icon_eek.gif) i will definately crumb coat the tiers sperately...thank you!

please keep the comments coming, with help from you guys i might pull this off yet!

tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 6

A blow out is when "gas" is trapped inside and fondant is applied. Once the cake settles the gas tries to escape and it has no where to go so it creates a bubble under the fondant.............not pretty. If your BC is crusted just lightly (very lightly) mist it with water for the fondant to adhere to.

Air makes fondant dry - airtight keeps it from drying ;_0

Donny13 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:04pm
post #6 of 6

thank you so much! and you dont think that having it all put together on friday is too soon? the party is at 7:00 on sat. i will be getting there to deliver the cake and start setting up @ 5:00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%