New To This

Decorating By LeighLeigh11 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm by LeighLeigh11

LeighLeigh11 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all!

I am new to cake decorating, loving it, but still very inexperienced. Anywho, my Bible study friend asked me to make her wedding cake for July. It is going to be outdoors by a river for about 150 people. I plan on making a tiered cake (which I know how to do), but now sure which type of frosting would be best seeing it is outside, in the summer, in Virginia. Any ideas?

Also, she wants me to have a tree wrap around the cake, from the bottom layer up to the top. Any tips, tricks, ideas on that one?

Anything would be appreciated. Thanks all!

4 replies
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 5

Use indydebi's icing recipe (found on this site). It holds up well in the heat. If you're talking about branches wrapping around you could use candy clay or fondant.

LeighLeigh11 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 5

Just looked at the icing recipe. That should be perfect. As for the tree, yes, she wants it wrapped and I haven't worked much with either of those so thank goodness for 5 months until the wedding to play! thumbs_up.gif

ayerim979 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 5

As far as the the icing I have no idea icon_eek.gif

But for the branches is all the cake going to be buttecream? Or are you planning on incorporating fondant or gumpaste ?

LeighLeigh11 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:19pm
post #5 of 5

I am using buttercream. I was thinking of then covering in fondant, however the bride informed me that she is not a fan of the taste of fondant and if I could, would prefer not to use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%