New Things Take Soo Long To Get Right. Vent

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 1:30pm by sillywabbitz

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 14

I hate trying new things because they take so long to get "right" I have done the same numbers and butterflies like 5 times already! Can I just get it right and move on to the next thing on the list!!!

OK now to keep trying.

13 replies
lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 14

New stuff is always frustrating to me, too. You'll get it. All your work looks great. I think back when some stuff used to take forever to do and now it's become easier w/ time and practice. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I hate trying new things because they take so long to get "right" I have done the same numbers and butterflies like 5 times already! Can Ii just get it right and move on to the next thing on the list!!!

OK now to keep trying.

We all go through the same process! Don't worry! I bet the first one you did was fantastic! You probably just want it to be perfect! icon_wink.gif

MeggieBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeggieBeth Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 14

It took me covering 6 cakes with fondant to finally be happy with one. Since I haven't done one since, who knows if that was a fluke. Hopefully I finally got it down!

sadsmile Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 14

Of coarse I want it to be perfect...LOL I am soo hard on myself. It doesn't help that I have to cut everything by hand first because I don't have a cutter that would work for what I am trying to do. I guess I need more cake toys. icon_wink.gif

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:29pm
post #6 of 14

UGH! I know what you mean. I found a cake recipe about a month ago that I wanted to try... made it, and I don't know if it sank, or just never rose, and it stuck something horrible to the bottom of the silicone pans. It tasted really good, though, so I decided I want to try to get it right.

So, last night I decide to try again. I made adjustments for the high altitude (~7000 feet) here, and put it into my 8" Magic Lines instead of the 9(?)" silicone and gave it another go. Better results, but it still stuck badly (okay... I officially give up on the oil/flour pan homemade pan release), and ended up pulling away from the sides of the pan and collapsing a bit.

So, I'm going to have to do it yet again. Next time, instead of baking both pans of it together with the same variables, I'm going to try one at a higher temp. and one at a lower temp. and see if either of those changes make a difference.

UGH! If every recipe I do takes this much effort, I don't know what I'll do.

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 14

Well it's good to know that I am not by myself. OOOOOOh I get so frustrated when things do not come out as you pictured in your mind. I'm like sadsmile I want it to be perfect too.LOL My husband always tells me keep trying keep trying you'll get it. But who wants to hear that sometimes but he is right. I too am hard on myself. I'm told I'm a perfectionist. I don't claim to be I just want it done right. icon_smile.gif

SpringFlour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpringFlour Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:17am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

(okay... I officially give up on the oil/flour pan homemade pan release)

ME TOO!! I know we're in the SEVERE minority here, because it seems that just about everyone LOVES it, but I hate it. I now usually use Baker's Joy spray or good ol' crisco and flour.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:31am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

Quote:
Quote:

(okay... I officially give up on the oil/flour pan homemade pan release)

ME TOO!! I know we're in the SEVERE minority here, because it seems that just about everyone LOVES it, but I hate it. I now usually use Baker's Joy spray or good ol' crisco and flour.

So glad to know I'm not the only one..I'm a Baker's Joy fan myself. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what but I never did get the homeade stuff to work for me.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:41am
post #10 of 14

icon_cry.gif .........you ladies are so right. But you see I cry when I get frustrated lol !!!

So I calm down and usually try again . If it takes going to the market at midnight so be it, but I have to get it right.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:20am
post #11 of 14

At first I thought it was a "me" thing, but I think us cakers are usually also perfectionists. Thats what makes us so good at this detail oriented job, but its also what can be frustrating...icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 8:35am
post #12 of 14

I line all my pans with parchment.

sadsmile Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 14

Geeze Mensch I had my thoughts all ready to type and then I was soo distracted. LOL What the heck was I wanting to say...?

Um a

hmmm

Oh I use parchment also and it helps the cake bake nice and tall.
It helps that there are no avatars on the reply page!

And I must say that even though I am thoroughly frustrated with the new techniques I am trying and having to do it all the hard way

I am as happy as a pig in squall-er to be playing with sugar!!!! As a hobbiest I don't get to make decorated cakes very often. It is such a creative outlet for me. I just miss my sleep since I can only work after the kiddies go to bed. icon_wink.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14

One thing I discovered with cake release is that it works well for me if the pans are first time use. If I use it, wash them and they are the least bit warm the cake release doesn't work. The pans have to be cool otherwise I think the oil and crisco break down. I have terrible outcomes with the sprays ...I guess we all have our strugglesicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%