Would I Mind?

Decorating By Ladiesofthehouse Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 3:07am by idgalpal

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:26pm
post #31 of 38

while I would hope that word of mouth from tasting and seeing the cake might get me more orders - she can tell anyone that she baked it.

I think the appearing logo would pretty much guarantee losing that customer in the future. It's just a mean thing to do to a customer. Do you think any large bakery is going to care what people do with their items. Do you think KFC cares if someone claims to have fried the take out chicken themselves to their guests?

I mean the cake leaves your business or house and it is out of your hands. Where do you draw the line - would you get upset if they cut it so it wasn't displayed properly?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 38

Word of mouth is the best advertising, so I'd be po'd if someone did this. Yes, she's "stuck" buying from you if people keep asking her to make the cakes, but you could have had the people at the party as customers too if they know who actually made the cake that they liked!

I had the chef at a very snooty hotel near me tell people that he made a wedding cake that I delivered. I only found out when the event coordinator saw a picture of it in my portfolio and asked me if I'd made it. I said yes, and she said "but so-and-so told me he made it! Why would he do that?" That's right, why? And in the meantime she could have been referring people to me since she liked the cake a lot. So I lost business that I could have had from word of mouth because some weirdo told people he made the cake when he didn't. (He doesn't work there anymore, I think that he moved somewhere out west, where he's probably taking credit for other peoples' cakes out there.)

Edited to add: I think you did the right thing to explain to her why you weren't okay with it. Maybe it will make her feel guilty enough to not be a liar (but maybe not, at least you tried!)

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:02pm
post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jamie_

I'm tellin ya' icon_biggrin.gif

For the annual church fund raiser,
Joan was going to make a cake.
She was in an awful hurry,
She had but little time to bake.

When she took it from the oven,
The middle was one great big hole.
She saw it was about the size
Of a toilet paper roll.

She quickly ran and got a roll
And deftly fitted it inside.
The icing was a masterpiece,
Joan delivered the cake with pride.

When the sale began tomorrow,
She would have her daughter go
And be first in line to buy it
So that no one would ever know.

But when her daughter picked it up,
A lady snatched it from her hand.
She said, I need it for a party,
Im sure your mom will understand.

The lady, known to be a snob,
Was never one to be denied.
She ignored the fact completely
That Joans daughter nearly cried.

Joans troubles were not yet over
Because, to please a new found friend,
There was someones bridal shower
That she had promised to attend.

Joan was overcome with horror,
When she was shown into the room,
Her cake was on the serving shelf!
It would finally spell her doom.

A group of ladies stood around it
Making comments about her cake;
Remarking on its beauty and
How hard it must have been to make.

Joan was heading for the doorway,
Praying hard that she could make it.
She was sure the snobbish woman
Knew shed been the one to bake it.

But with a threatening look towards Joan,
The hostess, at the serving shelf,
Said, I baked it just this morning
And decorated it myself!

Joans response to the threatening look
Was just a sheepish grin and nod.
That day, Joan had learned for certain
That, yes, there really is a GOD!

HA !!!!! that is funny. Nice story Jamie

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

This is when you put your business name and logo on the top of the cake board under the cake. As the cake gets cut and served, your logo slowly appears icon_smile.gif

Oh Jen!! GREAT idea~ icon_biggrin.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:43pm
post #35 of 38

Only once (that I know of) has something similar to this happened to me. A lady picked up a cake that she had ordered from the bakery where I worked and politely told me that it looked so pretty she was going to tell everyone that she did it herself. And she wasn't joking.

JanJess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanJess Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:35am
post #36 of 38

Sorry this is a little long, but I just got this email and I find it appropriate!

THE BAPTIST WHITE LIE CAKE

Have you ever told a white lie? You are going to love this, especially all of the ladies who bake for church events:

Alice Grayson was to bake a cake for the Baptist Church Ladies' Group in Tuscaloosa , but forgot to do it until the last minute. She remembered it the morning of the bake sale and after rummaging through cabinets, found an angel food cake mix & quickly made it while drying her hair, dressing, and helping her son pack up for Scout camp.
When she took the cake from the oven, the center had dropped flat and the cake was horribly disfigured and she exclaimed, "Oh dear, there is not time to bake another cake!" This cake was important to Alice because she did so want to fit in at her new church, and in her new community of friends. So, being inventive, she looked around the house for something to build up the center of The cake.. She found it in the bathroom - a roll of toilet paper. She plunked it in and then covered it with icing. Not only did the finished product look beautiful, it looked perfect. And, before she left the house to drop the cake by the church and head for work, Alice woke her daughter and gave her some money and specific instructions to be at the bake sale the moment it opened at 9:30 and to buy the cake and bring it home. When the daughter arrived at the sale, she found the attractive, perfect cake
had already been sold. Amanda grabbed her cell phone & called her mom.
Alice was horrified-she was beside herself! Everyone would know! What would they think? She would be ostracized, talked about, ridiculed! All night, Alice lay awake in bed thinking about people pointing fingers at her and talking about her behind her back.

The next day, Alice promised herself she would try not to think about the cake and would attend the fancy luncheon/bridal shower at the home of a fellow church member and try to have a good time.
She did not really want to attend because the hostess was a snob who more than once had looked down her nose at the fact that Alice was a single parent and not from the founding families of Tuscaloosa , but having already RSVP'd , she couldn't think of a believable excuse to stay home..
The meal was elegant, the company was definitely upper crust old south and to Alice 's horror, the cake in question was presented for dessert! Alice felt the blood drain from her body when she saw the cake! She started out of her chair to tell the hostess all about it, but before she could get to her feet, the Mayor's wife said, "what a beautiful cake!" Alice , still stunned, sat back in her chair when she heard the hostess (who was a prominent church member) say, "Thank you, I baked it myself."
Alice smiled and thought to herself, "God is good.

idgalpal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #37 of 38

HaHaHa! That is just too funny!

idgalpal Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:07am
post #38 of 38

HaHaHa! That is just too funny!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%