What Is The Easiest Way To Color Fondant A Dark Color

Decorating By swagoner Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 10:02pm by AngelFood4

swagoner Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

I want to color the fondant a dark brown and when i try to add the coloring to it, it seems to dry out the fondant quickly. I just started making my own MMF. I haven't tried coloring that yet. Just wanted to get some ideas on how to color it. Thanks!

7 replies
TammyH Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

If your making MMF, try using the chocolate version (I think I've seen it on this site, if not google it). It will be easier to make chocolate rather than coloring white.

If you HAVE to use white, try coloring it when making the fondant (for dark colors, this works better for me). Use the coloring as part of the liquid...

hynest Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

I have only had success with making black mmf. Use red, green and blue in equal amounts. I still can't seem to get a nice red color. Many shades of pink - but no red!

mabryant0212 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 8

I always add the color when I make it... this seems to work better if I need a DARK color.

sadsmile Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #5 of 8

Gloves!... and just mix it in until you have the color you need. If that means a lot of color then so be it. If you have to add more PS to stiffen it if using a lot of color has made it too soft.
Lemon extract or lemon oil could alter colors or bleach them as does sun and kitchen lights.
Americolor Super Colors or try a powdered food colorings. Both are really strong and work perfectly for me.

swagoner Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 8

Is one type of coloring better than another?

lyndim Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 8

What is the best type of coloring? (brand)

AngelFood4 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

For dark brown MMF, here is a link to a previous post: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-628490.html

I found another post where they used candy melts. I haven't tried this yet but want I want to give it a try the next time I need to make dark brown or black: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-630479-15-days0-orderasc-.html

Lyndim and Swagoner, I've used AmeriColor, Wilton, & Chef Master and they all work well with MMF.

Hynest, I've made red using a box of strawberry jello mix and an entire 1oz bottle of the Wilton No Taste Red. It turned out perfect! Plus, it smelled and tasted so yummy! I posted some tips on my facebook page under my Notes tab.

Quote by @%username% on %date%