For Those Of You Who Freeze Cuppies

Baking By kjt Updated 22 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm by Rosie2

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 24

Don't the papers get soggy?
Do they peel away from the cupcake when they begin to thaw?
Do you ice before freezing?

Thanks for the help, and Happy Groundhog Day!

icon_smile.gif

23 replies
elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 24

I freeze cupcakes all the time. After baking I cool completely, then I usually put 6 at a time of them on a cardboard and slide into a plastic bag or wrap with plastic wrap...air tight. I slide them into another ziploc bag and freeze. When I need cupcakes I take out as many as I need, thaw in the bag. Once thawed I decorate with icing . Never had a problem with the wrappers pulling away or getting soggy. Mmmmmm, cupcakes are yummy! icon_lol.gif

kjt Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 24

Thanks ellie, especially for the exact technique ! icon_razz.gif

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 24

Wow! What perfect timing- I was going to post something similar.

elliespartycakes- Do you fill the cupcakes before or after you freeze them?

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:17pm
post #5 of 24

I have frozen them both ways - plain and filled/iced - it works very well. No problems with soggy papers that pull away. The only thing is that when freezing after filling/icing, some toppings like Oreos get soft from absorbing the moisture of the icing and from condensation during the thawing process. There will be condensation that forms when thawing iced cupcakes that needs to be able to dry so I would store them loosely covered while thawing.

leahk Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 24

Puffcake- thanks for your help!

Do you think I could use lemon curd as a filling and then freeze it? I would frost after defrosting.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 24

Sure, I would freeze lemon curd filled cupcakes. I don't think it will be a problem at all.

kjt Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #8 of 24

I am transitioning from cake pieces to cuppies for my tastings, and this info so helpful, and very much appreciated icon_smile.gif.

Kathy

PS leahk, happy baking to you, too!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:01pm
post #9 of 24

I've frozen cupcakes filled and unfilled. If the filling is one that you would normally be able to freeze on it's own that by all means fill the cupcake first. I admit I've never frozen lemon curd before...I'll have to give it a try.

MommaBay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaBay Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:05pm
post #10 of 24

I haven't frozen decorated cupcakes, but plain ones. I individually wrap each cupcake in plastic wrap and then baggie them up and freeze. They thaw perfectly.

leahk Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 24

Thanks for all of your help!

For me the labor intensive work is the baking and filling. Frosting swirls don't take much time at all icon_wink.gif So I was hoping I could work on the labor intensive stuf slowly, and then thaw and frost the day before or of the party.

Thanks for your input.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 10:39pm
post #12 of 24

how long do they last in the freezer?

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 Feb 2010 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 24

I pop them back in the pans and freeze, then into a ziplock box to store. To thaw, take off the top and cover with some paper towels to absorb the excess moisture.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 24

Don't the papers get soggy? I use foil wrappers mostly and I haven't had any isues
Do they peel away from the cupcake when they begin to thaw? Only my strawberry ones give me any issue
Do you ice before freezing? no

minicuppie Posted 6 Feb 2010 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 24

Reynold's Aluminum has some new cupcake liners out. No sticking, no falling away from the sides. Pretty designs.

vww104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vww104 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 24

I also freeze cc's all the time, a 12 cup muffin pan fits perfectly into a 2 gallon ziploc freezer bag, just cover the tops with wax paper. I've had cc's frozen for months, and they come out great. I don't even defrost before frosting, take them out of the freezer, frost and you are all set.

minicuppie Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:01pm
post #17 of 24

Dang, girl! Don't you run out of CC pans?

kikibakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikibakes Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 7:11pm
post #18 of 24

thanks for the tip! icon_smile.gif

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:11am
post #19 of 24

I freeze cupcakes all time if i make them ahead. No soggy paper at all. I freeze them iced or uniced. Also, i make sure to keep them in my cupcake carrier so they don't get freezer burn or condensation on them when thawing out.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 3:58pm
post #20 of 24

Thi is an awesome thread!!! thumbs_up.gif I've been wondering about freezing cupcakes since I'm making about 100 of them for my daughter's babyshower. Quick question for the experts. Is there a especial recipe for the freezing kind or do they ALL freeze well?? I was planning to make some called Boston cupcakes that calls for a cream filling. Also do you ice them with some especial buttercream??
Also, about the thawing process. Do you thaw cover or uncovered?? the condensation that was mentioned worried me... icon_confused.gif how far ahead would you thaw and decorate?? 2-3 days before??

Ok thank you to all for al the wonderful tips and forgive me for all the quesions.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 24

I have never filled so can't help with that. I would take them out of the freezer and start decorating right away. They are so small that they defrost really quickly. If you wanted them totally thawed before filling I would just figure maybe 30-60 minutes tops and would just set them out uncovered for that short of a time. Even with a cake I start crumbcoating while frozen and just keep decorating as it defrosts.

Rosie2 Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 2:15am
post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by denetteb

I have never filled so can't help with that. I would take them out of the freezer and start decorating right away. They are so small that they defrost really quickly. If you wanted them totally thawed before filling I would just figure maybe 30-60 minutes tops and would just set them out uncovered for that short of a time. Even with a cake I start crumbcoating while frozen and just keep decorating as it defrosts.

Thank you so very much!! this really is a lot of help...I really want to start baking now and do the decorating later since I'm making a lot of cupcakes, cookies and I want to try (for the first time) petit fours icon_biggrin.gif I know, it's a lot of work but well worth it!
Thank you to all for all your help!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Feb 2010 , 4:07pm
post #23 of 24

Good luck with your project!

Rosie2 Posted 22 Feb 2010 , 6:20pm
post #24 of 24

I'd like to report re: freezing cupcakes. I baked chocolate cupcakes last Saturday. While still warm I wrap each individual cupcake in suran wrap and put them in a freeze 1gallon bag. The next day I took one out to test and.....it was perfect!!!
Thank you all fof your help...this coming weekend I'm going try a different recipe so, I'll keep you posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%