Giant Cake For Cake Dive

Decorating By bakeawish Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 6:31am by Jeep_girl816

bakeawish Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:47am
post #1 of 7

I accepted a challenge to make a giant cake for a valentines' cake dive. I think I may have bit off more than I can chew. I have a baker who is baking the sheet cakes...any tips on the best way to frost such a monstrosity in a timely manner? anybody done one of these before? What was I thinking? Help!!

6 replies
prterrell Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:39am
post #2 of 7

What is a cake dive?

Chasey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 7

I have no idea how big this cake is going to be...but if someone is literally diving in full body or full upper body in search of something inside maybe? then I would do what the Cake Boss did on Sunday night with the huge NASCAR cake.

He had buckets of buttercream and was throwing it on, literally, by the scraperful all over the sides and top of the cake as his crew then working to spread it around.

You must post pictures of this cake!!!!

bakeawish Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 7:14am
post #4 of 7

The cake dive is a valentines radition sponsored by a local radio station. 97 women qualify for a chance to "dive" into the giant cakes in search of a diamond ring. We are baking about one hundred full sheet cakes...itwill also be broadcaast on TV..I literally have been finalizing my business license this is nutty...

cheatize Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:43am
post #5 of 7

I saw a post here or a blog somewhere about this. Basically, she decorated them at the venue by butting the cakes against each other and icing them as one large cake. I don't know how she reached the middle, though.

Mrs-A Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:51am
post #6 of 7

couldnt you build the cake in pieces and decorate it as you go?? kinda like this...

Jeep_girl816 Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 6:31am
post #7 of 7

Wow! Sounds kinda insane and fun at the same time! Both the concept and the decorating! Good Luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%