Help Making Ballet Slippers

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm by LoriMc

LoriMc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:05am
post #1 of 9

A very nice person on here gave me directions and a template on how to make ballet slippers. I have two questions, but I know she lives far away on another continent so I can't get answers at the moment.

First question is whether to use fondant with tylose, gumpaste or fondant/gumpaste mix. I normally use fondant with tylose, so what difference would it make for me to use gumpaste?

Secondly, she keeps mentioning glue in the instructions. What can you use for glue other than water?

8 replies
all4cake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

I've not made the slippers(I did print out the pattern though...another day) but I use a mix of gumpaste and fondant(fondant gives me more time that I usually need when forming things and the gumpaste gives me the hardening effect I'm looking for). I fluctuate the amount of one or the other depending on the complexity of the piece and whether I need more time to manipulate the item.

I don't think, with the slipper, that one would make that much difference over the other...as long as there's sufficient dry time before the slippers need to be moved.

For glue, you can use piping gel, tylose or gum trag and water, a gob of gumpaste and water, pretty much anything that will dampened the area needing to be attached.

LoriMc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:33am
post #3 of 9

Mix a little water with tylose powder? How about mixing a little water with meringue powder...is that an option?

all4cake Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #4 of 9

a little little little bit of tylose with the water.

I've heard that some use egg white as glue. So, I reckon meringue powder and water would work too.

LoriMc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:43am
post #5 of 9

Thank you!

kello Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:45am
post #6 of 9

Yes, mix tylose with water. I put mine in a baby food jar and shake it well. You will have to shake it a few times over half an hour or so to get all the lumps out. Store it in the fridge. I used gumpaste and fondant on my slippers.

LoriMc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kello

Yes, mix tylose with water. I put mine in a baby food jar and shake it well. You will have to shake it a few times over half an hour or so to get all the lumps out. Store it in the fridge. I used gumpaste and fondant on my slippers.

I looked at your slippers and they are very cute! How many days ahead do you recommend making them? My cake is for Saturday.

kello Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks!
I did mine about 3 days ahead...to get them out of the way. I recommend doing the ribbons after you have placed them on the cake. I didn't and they broke when I moved them.

LoriMc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 9

Ok thanks! I am going to try them today. I'll hold off on the strings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%