Anyone Use Albert Uster Fondant?

Decorating By tiggy2 Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 3:58am by tiggy2

tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:58am
post #1 of 11

How does it taste and perform? I'm thinking of ordering some but have never used it or tasted it.

10 replies
LisaMaeCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:04am
post #2 of 11

It is amazing. I get the opaqaue version at International Sugar Art here in Georgia (Norcross). But it is sooooo expensive.

kelleym Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #3 of 11

It IS amazing. It tastes like buttercream. Not "better than Wilton", not "not bad", but DELICIOUS. It rolls thin like a dream. I love it.

leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:08am
post #4 of 11

It was fine. Meh. Too expensive to actually use on a regular basis.

snarkybaker Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #5 of 11

We use it for wedding cakes. We have another provider for party cakes that is also very good. It is very expensive, but we our fondant cakes start at $5.50 a serving. I think it is fantastic. It retains a very nice texture ( doesn't get hard) so the cake slices much better than any other fondant we've used.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:41am
post #6 of 11

Albert Uster's Massa Grischuna is great stuff.

It really tastes great, can be rolled quite thin, because it doesn't dry rock hard it never seems to crack, tears mend very well just by massaging it together, and it takes color beautifully.

If you purchase $195 worth of goods from them, it ships free. It's a very nice company to deal with, too.

If I want to keep costs down, I mix the Massa with some portion of Satin Ice or FondX and still get a great result.

HTH
Rae

kelleym Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:59am
post #7 of 11

Also, the Albert Uster gumpaste is excellent, and not as expensive as the fondant either.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:05am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

Also, the Albert Uster gumpaste is excellent, and not as expensive as the fondant either.

Kelly--glad you brought this up. I've been eyeing it in the catalogue. How is it for drying? Can you make any comparisons to Wilton pre-made--I find that stuff dries rock hard pretty quickly.

Thanks,
Rae

kelleym Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:19am
post #9 of 11

I can't compare it to the Wilton pre-made, as the only other I've ever used is homemade. But what I like about it is that it handles incredibly easily and it doesn't get sticky when you handle it a lot.

A group of us in Austin order together so that we get the free shipping.

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:37am
post #10 of 11

Thanks!

Rae

tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:58am
post #11 of 11

Thank you so much for all the comments. I'm going to try some.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%