Let me preface this with: I know nothing about making chocolates.
My question stems from making buckeyes. The peanut butter fudge type center dipped in semisweet chocolate.
I encountered a problem with my chocolate the last time I made these and am unsure of what the issue is. I thought maybe the heating process was wrong...although, I've never had an issue before. I've made these for over a decade the same way with no problems.
In a double boiler, I melt semisweet chips with some parafin wax. Stir to smooth. Then dip my peanut butter "balls" with a toothpick. The last time I made these the chocolate pulled away from the sides of the centers.
And when the left over chocolate cooled, it looked like it had light spots...almost like water spots. Maybe it was water? Any thoughts?
Just gonna bump for ya because I would like to know more about melting chocolate as well!
Sounds like your chocolate was fat bloomng (greasy). This can happen when you don't heat your chocolate properly, such as over heating it quickly or any other extreme temperature changes. There is also sugar blooming (gritty) which comes into play by extra moisture. Chocolate is alll about dry air and melting on low heat and storing properly wrapped at cool temperatures. HTH
Thanks! - that makes sense. Normally, I put it in double boiler & let it go on low. While it's heating, I plan on another task in the kitchen that takes up time. but, I faintly remember being in a hurry. Maybe I did it too fast... I may have neglected to stir adequately also. Maybe the "spots" were unmelted wax? I'll be sure to heat over low next time.
Patience always seems to be my downfall...
Here's another question: What about the re-heating of chocolate? For example, say, I have buckeye center dough in freezer. I don't want to freeze the chocolate dipped balls...sometimes the chocolate "turns" in the freezer. So - I dip as I go. If I re-heat the left over chocolate and wax from the last time around....I imagine I should just heat on low again.
But - I would think that I should take care not to keep re-heating. Won't I compromise the quality? Any thoughts on this?
Thanks so much for your reply LaBellaFlor. AND, the bump jodibug!!!
Here's a thread that will help you: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=608060&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0
Bobwonderbuns! Oh boy...there are a million pages! Thanks for the link - I should be able to find some basic answers!
Glad to help!