Frustrating! Fuzzies On Fondant

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 5:13am by Debi2

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 19

Sometimes after I've worked and molded my fondant I notice little 'fuzzies' stuck to it...This is SO annoying and I'm wondering how everyone prevents that. Is there a specific apron type I should be wearing? (I thought maybe it was my shirt). I'm a clean freak so I clean every surface multiple times before I roll it out and wash my hands like a OCD person before I start, but then it happens...FUZZIESSSS. My question is how does everyone prevent fuzzies, or tiny pieces of anything making their way onto your fondant?
*frustrated*

18 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 19

I think some "fuzzies" are inevitable due to static electricity and the fact that none of us decorates in a vacuum. Even in the cleanest home, you can watch fuzzies dancing in a stream of sunlight--they're a sad fact of life.

I wipe everything down before I start working and I wear white, non-pilling fabrics for my shirt & apron as much as possible--AND I NEVER wear dark colors.

HTH
Rae

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 19

You have my sympathies. I haven't had much trouble with fondant fuzzies but I have had trouble with it on white crusted buttercream cakes and it drives me crazy. Never wear a sweater and keep the house closed up. My most difficult time is Spring when the family want to keep the kitchen door open. I have to watch for pollen and definitely can't work on cakes in the evening for fear of dust coming through the screens. I doubt that others notice though. Once, I was sure it was the ribbon from my board, so I am careful in my choice of those too. Glad to hear I wasn't just seeing things myself.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 19

I was just cussing the fuzzies this past weekend while making some gumpaste flowers. So, no advice, just sympathy. icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 19

I heard a tip from someone a while ago. Before she starts rolling out, she breaks off a bit of fondant and rubs that over the work surface. The fuzzies get picked up by that. Doesn't take care of all of them, but it sure helps.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 19

hehe so glad to hear its not just me cursing them!!! I will definitely try that piece of fondant trick-and I think I'll go buy a white cotton shirt to use JUST for cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #7 of 19

I've actually started to wonder if I should decorate naked! icon_eek.gif

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 19

Elcee...very funny...you'd have to be careful with some of the tools though...ouch!!! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm sure if we asked our husbands they'd say yes definitely decorate naked! icon_biggrin.gif

I use one of those lint roller things....you know the type where you can peel off a new layer of sticky paper each time you use it....I roll that over my work surface a few times to pick up any stray "fuzzies".

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 19

here i was thinking it was just me too lol Soooo annoying

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Great idea, I say we should be naked decorators. lol I thought I was the only one no matter what apron, long or short sleeve shirt I use it always happens to me. I actually want to order a chef shirt that all those fancy people use.I am such a clean freak till one day I came to the conclusion that maybe if I wore rubber gloves it would work and I wouldn't have that problem. Hmmm I wonder if the pro bakers have the same problem. I always notice my errors but never ayone else's.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:14am
post #12 of 19

I noticed this issue about a year ago when I started using fondant for the first time- , I first wipe down the surface with hot steaming soapy water ( i through a clean wet rag in the microwave for 30 sec and pull it out and wipe it all down with a glove or else it is too hot ) then I do it again with no soap- just water .let dry . then I keep pure rubbing alcohol in a sprayer, and i spray it all down and wipe dry with a bounty paper towel...We rarely use paper towels here because we are sorta on the Eco-tree hugger side, but for cakes you gotta sometimes!
I wear short sleeves or hike up my sleeves , i wear a bandana and a tight bun or ponytail most of the time, I use thin white 100% cotton thin flat fold style cloth diaper (, no lint! ) and wipe my hands with that after I wash. I have a cheap desk lamp with NO lampshade that is super lightweight, and it has a 26 watt "curly " energy efficiant super bright bulb and after I roll out my fondant i hold that thing about 3 inches from my surface of my fondant to scan for any fuzz or lint ( or bubbles! ) of any kind...it looks like i am working in a forensics lab when I got that thing going! lol...
sounds like a process, but it works for me!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:00am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

hehe so glad to hear its not just me cursing them!!! I will definitely try that piece of fondant trick-and I think I'll go buy a white cotton shirt to use JUST for cakes icon_biggrin.gif

If you are going to do that, then make sure you wash it alone, and don't tumble dry it or it will pick up fuzzies from other clothes/drier too icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif ! Even then I would bet some will still find their way to the fondant, they are all around us in the air, it's unavoidable really thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif !

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:42am
post #14 of 19

I have always said that fondant is a dust magnet icon_twisted.gif If Johnson & Johnson could just figure out how to use it, they would have a great new dusting product icon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure if we asked our husbands they'd say yes definitely decorate naked!

Not much decorating would get done icon_biggrin.gif !

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #16 of 19

I put my paper towell in the cupbpoard before i start - as the fuzzies that float around from that is incredable....plus i only have my cotton tea towellls and hand towells out - not the fluffy cotton kind.

Brillante idea about the lint rollers - never thought of doing that.
Thankyou Deb thumbs_up.gif

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #17 of 19

...all that and a pair of tweezers!!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #18 of 19

Oh good I'm glad its not just me...I'm always hoping nobody really inspects their white fondant on their cake. *sigh*

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #19 of 19

I was having this same exact problem today. I finally realized it was the black and white dish towel I was drying my hands on! It wasn't a terry type towel either...so not sure why. I guess I will need to invest in some plain white cotton towels to use while working with fondant and buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%