Frustrating! Fuzzies On Fondant

Decorating By adventuregal Updated 10 Feb 2010 , 5:13am by Debi2

adventuregal Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 19

Sometimes after I've worked and molded my fondant I notice little 'fuzzies' stuck to it...This is SO annoying and I'm wondering how everyone prevents that. Is there a specific apron type I should be wearing? (I thought maybe it was my shirt). I'm a clean freak so I clean every surface multiple times before I roll it out and wash my hands like a OCD person before I start, but then it happens...FUZZIESSSS. My question is how does everyone prevent fuzzies, or tiny pieces of anything making their way onto your fondant?
*frustrated*

18 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 19

I think some "fuzzies" are inevitable due to static electricity and the fact that none of us decorates in a vacuum. Even in the cleanest home, you can watch fuzzies dancing in a stream of sunlight--they're a sad fact of life.

I wipe everything down before I start working and I wear white, non-pilling fabrics for my shirt & apron as much as possible--AND I NEVER wear dark colors.

HTH
Rae

Elaine2581 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 19

You have my sympathies. I haven't had much trouble with fondant fuzzies but I have had trouble with it on white crusted buttercream cakes and it drives me crazy. Never wear a sweater and keep the house closed up. My most difficult time is Spring when the family want to keep the kitchen door open. I have to watch for pollen and definitely can't work on cakes in the evening for fear of dust coming through the screens. I doubt that others notice though. Once, I was sure it was the ribbon from my board, so I am careful in my choice of those too. Glad to hear I wasn't just seeing things myself.

Elcee Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 19

I was just cussing the fuzzies this past weekend while making some gumpaste flowers. So, no advice, just sympathy. icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 19

I heard a tip from someone a while ago. Before she starts rolling out, she breaks off a bit of fondant and rubs that over the work surface. The fuzzies get picked up by that. Doesn't take care of all of them, but it sure helps.

adventuregal Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 19

hehe so glad to hear its not just me cursing them!!! I will definitely try that piece of fondant trick-and I think I'll go buy a white cotton shirt to use JUST for cakes icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:31am
post #7 of 19

I've actually started to wonder if I should decorate naked! icon_eek.gif

ZoesMum Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:36am
post #8 of 19

Elcee...very funny...you'd have to be careful with some of the tools though...ouch!!! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:57am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

I'm sure if we asked our husbands they'd say yes definitely decorate naked! icon_biggrin.gif

I use one of those lint roller things....you know the type where you can peel off a new layer of sticky paper each time you use it....I roll that over my work surface a few times to pick up any stray "fuzzies".

Elise87 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:04am
post #10 of 19

here i was thinking it was just me too lol Soooo annoying

panchanewjersey Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:16am
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Great idea, I say we should be naked decorators. lol I thought I was the only one no matter what apron, long or short sleeve shirt I use it always happens to me. I actually want to order a chef shirt that all those fancy people use.I am such a clean freak till one day I came to the conclusion that maybe if I wore rubber gloves it would work and I wouldn't have that problem. Hmmm I wonder if the pro bakers have the same problem. I always notice my errors but never ayone else's.

BarbieAnnPlaysWithHerFOOD Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:14am
post #12 of 19

I noticed this issue about a year ago when I started using fondant for the first time- , I first wipe down the surface with hot steaming soapy water ( i through a clean wet rag in the microwave for 30 sec and pull it out and wipe it all down with a glove or else it is too hot ) then I do it again with no soap- just water .let dry . then I keep pure rubbing alcohol in a sprayer, and i spray it all down and wipe dry with a bounty paper towel...We rarely use paper towels here because we are sorta on the Eco-tree hugger side, but for cakes you gotta sometimes!
I wear short sleeves or hike up my sleeves , i wear a bandana and a tight bun or ponytail most of the time, I use thin white 100% cotton thin flat fold style cloth diaper (, no lint! ) and wipe my hands with that after I wash. I have a cheap desk lamp with NO lampshade that is super lightweight, and it has a 26 watt "curly " energy efficiant super bright bulb and after I roll out my fondant i hold that thing about 3 inches from my surface of my fondant to scan for any fuzz or lint ( or bubbles! ) of any kind...it looks like i am working in a forensics lab when I got that thing going! lol...
sounds like a process, but it works for me!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:00am
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysierra

hehe so glad to hear its not just me cursing them!!! I will definitely try that piece of fondant trick-and I think I'll go buy a white cotton shirt to use JUST for cakes icon_biggrin.gif

If you are going to do that, then make sure you wash it alone, and don't tumble dry it or it will pick up fuzzies from other clothes/drier too icon_mad.gificon_rolleyes.gif ! Even then I would bet some will still find their way to the fondant, they are all around us in the air, it's unavoidable really thumbsdown.gificon_sad.gif !

linedancer Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 11:42am
post #14 of 19

I have always said that fondant is a dust magnet icon_twisted.gif If Johnson & Johnson could just figure out how to use it, they would have a great new dusting product icon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:19am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

I'm sure if we asked our husbands they'd say yes definitely decorate naked!

Not much decorating would get done icon_biggrin.gif !

Bluehue Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #16 of 19

I put my paper towell in the cupbpoard before i start - as the fuzzies that float around from that is incredable....plus i only have my cotton tea towellls and hand towells out - not the fluffy cotton kind.

Brillante idea about the lint rollers - never thought of doing that.
Thankyou Deb thumbs_up.gif

MACakes Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 12:55am
post #17 of 19

...all that and a pair of tweezers!!

Kitagrl Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 1:19am
post #18 of 19

Oh good I'm glad its not just me...I'm always hoping nobody really inspects their white fondant on their cake. *sigh*

Debi2 Posted 10 Feb 2010 , 5:13am
post #19 of 19

I was having this same exact problem today. I finally realized it was the black and white dish towel I was drying my hands on! It wasn't a terry type towel either...so not sure why. I guess I will need to invest in some plain white cotton towels to use while working with fondant and buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%