How Was This Cake Done?

Decorating By fooby Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 1:11am by MacsMom

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:52pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all,

My SIL requested me to make this cake but I'm not sure how this was done. Any ideas on how the flowers were done? How to get the glittery effect on the cake? Any help would be great. BTW, this will be my first wedding cake. Yikes!

Thanks.
LL

10 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 11

Covered in fondant, with royal icing piping....

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 11

This is a link to flower tutorials:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6700733.html#6700733

And the sparkle effect was created by brushing on "Sparkle Dust" - the grain is a tad larger than luster or pearl dust so it is more, well, sparkly.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 11

the flowers look like they are toyal icing some of them have the brush embroidery technique. the shimmer looks like it was airbrushed on - alternatively you can brush it onto the fondant with a dry clean blush brush

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 11

i do believe .. that the large flower is a g/p peony?

Tee-Y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tee-Y Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 11

For the glittery effect on the cake, roll out your fondant till close to the thicknes you want then take a dollop of crisco in your palms, rub together and then rub lightly over your fondant making sure you cover the area that will cover your cake.Sprinkle your glitter over the surface and using a piece of foam rub the glitter into the fondant,the crisco will make it stick and the foam will distribute it evenly.When you are satisfied with the effect you have, roll out a lttle bit more to the normal thickness,this secures the glitter even more,lift fondant and cover the cake as normal.
The other decor is royal iced brush embroidery.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 11

You can "paint" the sparkle dust on - just mix it with everclear or vodka, which both dry VERY fast, leaving just the beautiful glitter behind! The flowers are piped on royal icing or even BC, and it looked like they are using a brushed embroidery.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:31pm
post #8 of 11

WOW Tee-Y, thanks for the info! so well put!

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Y

For the glittery effect on the cake, roll out your fondant till close to the thicknes you want then take a dollop of crisco in your palms, rub together and then rub lightly over your fondant making sure you cover the area that will cover your cake.Sprinkle your glitter over the surface and using a piece of foam rub the glitter into the fondant,the crisco will make it stick and the foam will distribute it evenly.When you are satisfied with the effect you have, roll out a lttle bit more to the normal thickness,this secures the glitter even more,lift fondant and cover the cake as normal.
The other decor is royal iced brush embroidery.

Great tip! I can see doing that with Mystic or Disco dust, but with sparkle dust I've been able to dry brush it on just fine. Lol, I just asked questions about the different types of dust, so here is the link
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6700538-.html#6700538

It seems "snowsparkle is the sparkliest icon_wink.gif

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all for your response. Now my question is, for the part that is draped.... was it draped first then brush embroidered? I'm guessing yes, right? Do I make sense? haha

MacsMom Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:11am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Thank you all for your response. Now my question is, for the part that is draped.... was it draped first then brush embroidered? I'm guessing yes, right? Do I make sense? haha

Yes, that way you not only can see where the design would look best, but the brush embroidery won't get damaged as it might if you tried to move the drape.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%