Wish Me Luck...i'm Baking From Scratch!

Decorating By CeeTee Updated 4 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm by CeeTee

CeeTee Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 15

Gaaaaah...I have to re-do a cake for the AZ Cake Arts show this coming weekend. It appears that my usual doctored box mix is not dense enough to withstand our recent bout of humid weather and it sagged and crumbled under the weight of the icing. ( Thank goodness this was my practice cake and not my final!! )

Since I need a dense, sturdy cake, my only option is to grit my teeth and bake from scratch! I'm making Pound cake, either Alton Brown's Classic or Bakerella's Cream Cheese version. Haven't decided yet, but I'll be making it tonight. It's not my first time baking a cake from scratch but I am just So. Freaking. Bad! at it. I may post pics if my attempt is not horrifying. I'm hoping for my results to be somewhat edible so I don't have to pitch it after the show. icon_sad.gif

Please send good luck wishes and vibes my way! I'm gonna need it!! I'm having nightmares of being on Cake Wrecks over this *LOL*

14 replies
aggiechef Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 15

I vote for Bakerella's Cream Cheese version (as if i really have a say in which one you make). icon_lol.gif

sending big GOOD LUCK wishes your way... icon_biggrin.gif

Mrs-A Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 15

goodluck!!

im on a 52 bake from scratch odessey this year - got a KA so have to make use of it. Sunday's cake (upside down cashew & maple syrup) was a bit of a disaster but this mornings (to make up for the disaster) was coconut cake was a winner

sending positive vibes for your cake and the show!

aggiechef Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 15

upside down cashew and maple syrup sounds absolutely heavenly....please share the recipe if you don't mind... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 15

I started out in 4H at 9 years old baking from scratch. I was a young adult before I knew there was anything else.

BlakesCakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 15

If you're baking this to carve and display, with no plans to eat it, it's a shame to waste good ingredients.

There are 2 ways to make dummies from box mixes:

Bake the cake as you normally would with your favorite recipe. When done, invert onto a cookie sheet and bake another two hours at 250 degrees. The cake should be rock hard. Or, you may let it air dry for several days until hard. Decorate as desired.

OR

NOT EDIBLE
DUMMY CAKE RECIPE
1 (any) Cake Mix
3 TB Meringue powder
3 TB Flour
1 c water
Mix together. Batter will be thick, you will need to
spread the batter before baking.
Bake at 350 degrees till browned.

Just a thought.
Rae

mckaren Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 15

I hadn't seen box mixes until a few years ago so I had no idea there was an alternative to scratch!

You'll be fine. If it helps, the box mix recipes with extenders etc read as far, far more complicated than scratch baking to me!!

Take a deep breath and have confidence icon_biggrin.gif

DeeDelightful Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 15

When you master the scratch pound cake, you will feel proud of yourself. I'm sure you will do fine.

Mrs-A Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

upside down cashew and maple syrup sounds absolutely heavenly....please share the recipe if you don't mind... icon_smile.gif

here it is, i posted it in the weekly friday night bake thread, http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6699110-.html#6699110

i will say it seems i over beat'd it and for me it turned out dry as i mixed it for 3mins when the instructions say mix until pale & smooth OR 3 mins - so basically i beat the life out of it so have to try again

sorry for the hijack.... icon_redface.gif

CeeTee Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

If you're baking this to carve and display, with no plans to eat it, it's a shame to waste good ingredients.

My hope is to be able to eat it afterwards. I don't want to waste ingredients either, and I take pride in making yummy cakes. Just every prior attempt at a cake from scratch has ended in disaster. That's what I'm afraid of happening.

Thank you all for the well wishes!

BlakesCakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:34am
post #11 of 15

I understand.

I just personally wouldn't eat anything that sat out on public display, even for a single day.

I was recently a volunteer at the Art Of the Cake competition and with people leaning over cakes, sneezing on them, kids poking at them (despite all types of precautions to prevent this), etc., I couldn't bring myself to choke it down, no matter what ingredients I'd used in it.

Happy decorating!
Rae

Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:42am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I understand.

I just personally wouldn't eat anything that sat out on public display, even for a single day.

I was recently a volunteer at the Art Of the Cake competition and with people leaning over cakes, sneezing on them, kids poking at them (despite all types of precautions to prevent this), etc., I couldn't bring myself to choke it down, no matter what ingredients I'd used in it.

Happy decorating!
Rae

oh yuck....good point Rae.

twooten173 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 12:46am
post #13 of 15

CeeTee, I feel your pain. I made a scratch cake yesterday and was on pins and needles. Only the cupcakes sank on me. The people who ate the cake loved it. If I can do it, anyone can!

CeeTee Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:56am
post #14 of 15

Rae, I didn't even think about that! icon_confused.gif Eguh, good point!

As it is I couldn't make the cake tonight after all. I got home late. I've had the eggs and butter sitting out for two hours now and they are still way too cold to bake with. Might as well do the way you suggested and save myself the time and stress!

Thank you for the help!

CeeTee Posted 4 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 15

UPDATE: Last night I made Bakerella's Cream Cheese Pound Cake recipe. It was not a disaster, but it wasn't very good either.

Followed the directions to the letter, used fresh, quality ingredients, and the cake baked up beautifully. It was picture perfect, and I thought things were going great...until I had a slice. Unfortunately, it feels rubbery when you chew it. It also has a strange chemical aftertaste. I've had store bought pound cakes which have tasted much better.

So once again, I have Fail Cake. I can bake anything else from scratch, just not cake! ARRRGH!!! I'm sticking to doctored box mixes...it's just not worth the hassle to bake crappy scratch cakes. icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%