A Little Ticked Off... And I Have A Question

Business By thecookieladycc Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 5:14am by erinalicia

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:19pm
post #31 of 50

Thank goodness I didn't hand her a sketch (though I did a couple after she left because I was so excited about it!) I just REALLY wanted to make the cake. It was going to be a soft champagne color with lace appliques and edible pearls and crystals with dusty pink English roses all around it. I think that I'm going to just make it into a dummy cake instead.... in honor of her. opps did I just say that?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 11:26pm
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

Did you sketch this cake or just describe it? If you sketched it I would tell them they can't use the sketch to go by, that would be your property - though that wouldn't stop them from using the description/ideas. Though, if this is sort of a friend you may choose to let it go for the sake of peace.

This is why I dont do design consults at tastings. I will go over some ideas, but the sketch comes AFTER they have signed the contract!

thecookieladycc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:20am
post #33 of 50

So she just wrote back...

Oh no! Wow I really wanted that cake! We aren't planning on serving the cake just for show...... XXXX wants to have it the next day at the brunch...

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:24am
post #34 of 50

What does she expect???? I swear some brides...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:26am
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecookieladycc

Oh no! Wow I really wanted that cake! We aren't planning on serving the cake just for show...... XXXX wants to have it the next day at the brunch...

So what, it will still be sitting there next to the cheap bakery's work, and who knows what that will look like? They didn't eat my groom's cake in the example I posted above, they couldn't bring themselves to eat it because they said it was so cute.

So if you make a really cute groom's cake and sit it next to a mediocre wedding cake, then they don't eat it, they'll not only think that you made the wedding cake, but that the groom's cake would have tasted like the wedding cake! icon_lol.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:47am
post #36 of 50

This is a little late in the thread, but I forgot to mention - if the cake doesn't book - any sketches, pricing, whatever, stays. I'll be darned if one of my sketches leaves so some bride can run to her cousin/friend/competitor/whoever just to use my design!

If the cake does book, they get a copy of the original.

loriemoms Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:49am
post #37 of 50

Why not offer to make the grooms cake for the brunch then? Then you dont have to worry about if its next to the wedding cake or not..

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:17am
post #38 of 50

[quote="loriemoms"][quote="CakeForte"]Do the groom's cake and charge her $900.[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif[/quote]

And cover the board under the cake with your business cards!!!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:05am
post #39 of 50

I have never heard of savings the groom's cake for the brunch. And frankly I don't believe her, seeing as how she says it will be on display. Ask if she'll pick it up Sunday.

loriemoms Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:24pm
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeForte

Do the groom's cake and charge her $900.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

And cover the board under the cake with your business cards!!!

hahahaha!!!!

Icedgem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Icedgem Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:47pm
post #41 of 50

I've had this problem in the past and my advice is don't worry about it. You know what your work is worth and what your standards are. whatever this lady thinks, she will not get the cake that you were offering at that price - if she can, good luck to her! icon_smile.gif

If she wants the Grooms cake, offer it at full price only x

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:48pm
post #42 of 50
Quote:

Cake for brunch? That's new to me. Anyway, just tell her that you're sorry but that you won't be able to make the cake.

And making her wedding cake into a dummy cake seems fitting. Put it in your front window. icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #43 of 50

The lady is definitely a PITA so if you want to turn her down, do it.

I would tell her if she really wants the groom's cake then you will provide it for the brunch ONLY. She can either pick it up on that day or pay for you to deliver it on that day. NOT the day of the wedding.
Also, she pays full price!

thecookieladycc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #44 of 50

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

So the bride just e-mailed me and said that the other baker is not only making the cake for 250ppl, but is also providing the plate, forks, napkins and table skit, for $350 with no deliver or set up fee. I feel like someone just punched me in the gut.

I told her that if she wants a cake for $350 I can, but it wont be as detailed as she wants, and unless I do the wedding cake I can't do the grooms cake.
I was so temped to tell her that if you want to get a cheap cake then you will get a cheap cake. But I didn't.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:21pm
post #45 of 50
Quote:

So the bride just e-mailed me and said that the other baker is not only making the cake for 250ppl, but is also providing the plate, forks, napkins and table skit, for $350 with no deliver or set up fee. I feel like someone just punched me in the gut.

I told her that if she wants a cake for $350 I can, but it wont be as detailed as she wants, and unless I do the wedding cake I can't do the grooms cake.
I was so temped to tell her that if you want to get a cheap cake then you will get a cheap cake. But I didn't.

She's got to be kidding. I hope that when you say "not as detailed" you're going to be giving her the box of cake mix and telling her to have fun with it! Let the other person do it, who cares? If you do it you'll end up hating yourself for going through with it!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:32pm
post #46 of 50

Cake for 250 people for $350 icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Can't wait for this one to show up on cake wrecks.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:58pm
post #47 of 50

I'd just walk away and never give her another thought.

thecookieladycc Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:02pm
post #48 of 50

yeah I think I'm just going to wash my hands of it and move on.

kiwigal81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiwigal81 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 9:22pm
post #49 of 50

After having made a glorious dummy, and taken pics ready to supplement the cake wrecks posting: wanted *this*, went to cheapie and got *this*.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 5:14am
post #50 of 50

at my brother-in-law's wedding reception the wedding cake was done by a different bakery than the groom's cake. The bride's parents paid for the wedding cake and my mother-in-law was asked to pay for/ be in charge of getting the groom's cake which came from a local well known bakery in Tulsa, OK. I'm not sure where the wedding cake came from. I can see the issue from both sides considering this, but I sure wouldn't want my cake to be mistaken to be made by another bakery if they weren't so good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%