Icing Cut Cakes - No Crumbs

Decorating By sheenaevans Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 1:37pm by sheenaevans

sheenaevans Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sure this has been posted before somewhere, but I skimmed briefly and couldn't find anything.

I have to make a cake in the shape of a snake, so I'm thinking of cooking round cakes, cutting out a circle in the middle, and cutting the remaining piece in half. That will leave me with two "C" shaped pieces per cake, which I can piece together to look like a snake. (It's probably kind of hard to picture).

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on how to ice the cake without getting crumbs in my icing. Where the cake is going to be cut prior to icing, there's going to be lots of crumbs.

9 replies
alene Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 10

The only advice I would have is to slightly freeze the cake. That will cut down on your cake crumbs. Maybe someone else will have more advice. good luck

TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 10

Crumb coat it after cutting it.

PJ37 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 10

Agree with the above two posters...freeze the cake, then crumb coat it. When defrosted and crusted, then use your frosting...

jenmat Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 10

At least chill it really well if you don't like freezing it.

Deb_ Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:41pm
post #6 of 10

Whenever I carve or need to ice a "cut" edge of cake I use an icing tip in a large 18" bag, that way my spatula never touches the cut edge pulling crumbs along with it.

indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 10

I'm in agreement with the slightly-frozen-and-crumb-coat suggestions.

If you have time.....

You might search on ebay for the horseshoe pan. You could cut it in half (at the bottom of the "U") and arrange the pieces to resemble a snake. The only 'cut' exposure would be the small area where you cut the "U" in half.

ayerim979 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 10

What about cup cakes, heres a pic, its not mines I googled it. Its fuzzy due to the image resize but, just to give you an idea.

Thats also a neat idea if you dont want to hassle with the crub coat.

You can maybe add more cupcakes to the body to make it thicker. JMO

Good Luck

mamawrobin Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 10

I agree freeze or slightly freeze then crumb coat. I have done this before on carved cakes.

sheenaevans Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks guys.. these are all awesome suggestions.
I made a cupcake-cake before.. I didn't think of doing it for a snake! That's a good idea..
I already have my cakes baked... but I'm sure they wont go astray! haha

Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%