Ingredient Labeling For Wedding Cakes?

Business By Tellis12 Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 2:36am by Loucinda

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 12

Since I'm a cottage baker I have to have all of my goods labeled. If I deliver it in a box, I can just put a label on the box, but with a wedding cake, there's no box. What am I supposed to do?

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 12

I take a piece of paper with all of the cutting instructions, detail of flavors on each tier, etc. I include a list of allergens with the list, so if you wanted to do that and just make sure you give it to the person who will be cutting the cake they can anwser any questions that the guests would have.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellis12

Since I'm a cottage baker I have to have all of my goods labeled. If I deliver it in a box, I can just put a label on the box, but with a wedding cake, there's no box. What am I supposed to do?

I would ask your health department, etc, how they handle those kinds of cakes. Maybe put them on a little card and hand it to the venue?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 5:28am
post #4 of 12

Bottom of the bottom cake board? Give them a small box for leftovers with the label on it? Attached to the delivery sheet?

Just tossing some ideas out there.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 12

If there's no box, how do you deliver? Is the cake just placed in the van/vehicle as is?

Just wondering...

I do as costumeczar and include it on the cutting guide.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 12

My Dept. of Ag. inspector was just here yesterday - I asked the same question. His repsonse was to give a list to the bride when she signs the contract, then when delivering the cake, like CC says, have the list printed on a piece of paper to leave at the venue. Doing it both - covers you completely....they know ahead of time AND the day of the delivery.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:33pm
post #7 of 12

DEB- I deliver my cakes unassembled in individual boxes, but then I unbox and stack at the venuee, but I don't leave the boxes stacked up somewhere......I take them with me

As for the labeling, I always leave a small box for the top tier with an ingredient label on it.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

DEB- I deliver my cakes unassembled in individual boxes, but then I unbox and stack at the venuee, but I don't leave the boxes stacked up somewhere......I take them with me

That's how I deliver also.

Maybe that's what the OP meant by "no box". I was just envisioning cakes in the back of a vehicle un-boxed....now that I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee it's more clear to me. icon_razz.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 12

lol, you never know..........there are people on t.v. that just pop fully assembled cakes into the back of their van! lol

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 12

A lot of people just leave an empty box for leftover cake. You could just attach it to that box.

However, I really like costumeczar's idea of just including it with the cutting guide.

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 8:51pm
post #11 of 12

I think I will check with my dept. of ag. but I'm thinking including it with the cutting guide is what I'll be doing. When I meet with the brides I always go over my allergy clause so they know I'm not responsible if they order peanut butter filling and Uncle Joe with the pb allergy eats it

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 2:36am
post #12 of 12

Tellis - here is the number for the one I deal with at the Dept. of Ag. here in Ohio: 614-728-6250 - he was just here yesterday, and told me to do leave one with the contract, and one with the venue when dropping off the cake. Mr. Delong is who gave me the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%