Need Lots Of Questions Answered, Please!

Decorating By Photomommie Updated 3 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm by Photomommie

Photomommie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all, after taking a nice long maternity leave I'm back in the saddle again! I really wanted to stick with cookies, but a close friend asked my to help her with a simple shower cake, laid the guilt on thick, you make great cakes for the kids, it would be so special from you not just a Costco cake.....blah blah blah, so I said yes! (what was I thinking I have 3 ypung kids !) Anyway it turns out to be a "SIMPLE" 2 tiered fondant cake (so much for simple cake) I have never done a tier cake.....(oh why oh why did I say yes!!!)

so these are my silly questions:

I need for 50 ppl, so is a 12" & 8" square enough cake? What is the amount of servings per size pan??? They will be filled with ganache.

How thick should the layers be total with filling? Around 4' or so?

I'm just gonna use box cake, just don't have the time or money for homemade, so How many boxes per size pans (8 & 12)? I was thinking, 2 for the 8" & 3 for the 12" is that close?

Now when I stack them do I cut the dowels below the the icing level or even with it?

Now, don't laugh at this one, do I place the top layer right on the lower cake & dowels or leave it on the cardboard (same size as top layer) and place cardboard on lower layer & dowels????

OMG why did I say yes!!!!!!

So I need this for Superbowl Sunday, so can I make this Friday night and leave it for Sunday? If so How should I store it till then?? Fridge, just covered on table?? Or just open on table?

And last ( I think) I need to put ribbon around the layers so how do I attach the ribbon to the cake? Can't use a pin, I think!!! RI as glue?

Sorry for all the silly questions, I really haven't done cakes in awhile and almost forgot everyting I learned, plus I still have baby brain. I'm kicking myself, but Now I must make the best 2 tiered fondant cake, that I have never even attempted before for a very PICKY friend!!!

Thanks for all of your help & wish me luck!!!

~~Dawn~~
Proud Mommie of 3
Hailey 6, AJ 4 & baby Ryan 17 months!

4 replies
cakeaddictunite Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 5

first of all take a deep breath as for leaving it out it will be fine with the fondant. just cover and sit it on the table. ~I'm just gonna use box cake, just don't have the time or money for homemade, so How many boxes per size pans (8 & 12)? I was thinking, 2 for the 8" & 3 for the 12" is that close?~ depends on what brand of mix u use.~Now, don't laugh at this one, do I place the top layer right on the lower cake & dowels or leave it on the cardboard (same size as top layer) and place cardboard on lower layer & dowels???? on this one I would say you can leave the cardboard just make sure you put some wax paper between the cardboard and the bottom layer. HTH

cakeaddictunite Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 5

8" will serve 32 if its a 2 layer~a 12" wil serve 72 if its a 2 layer
8" needs 4 cups of batter to make a 2" layer a 12" needs 10 cups.
HTH

CakeMakar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:12pm
post #4 of 5

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

This chart gives you servings per size, how much batter you'll need, and how much icing.

Photomommie Posted 3 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much diannabreeden & CakeMaker for your help! I am keeping my fingers crossed for a great outcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%