Licensing For Sate Of California

Business By Samsgranny Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm by itsacake

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 6

Hello ~
I've searched CC and cannot find information regarding licensing in the state of Californa, specifically Santa Clara County. Would someone please point me in the right direction to find that info on CC or who I would reach out to in my community?

Also, has someone created a form or checklist of questions to ask when taking an order? I'd like to find one and customize it rather than starting from scratch.

Thank you!
Theresa

5 replies
itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 6

Call the Santa Clara County Department of Environmental Health at
(40icon_cool.gif 918-3400. YOu need to be baking out of a commercial kitchen. They will inspect. You also have to have a food handler's license. I think they have Servesafe classes for which you can sign up. The permit from the county is around $750.00/year I believe you have to show that you have insurance. They will give you the details when you call. You can also visit them, but they hours they will see walk-ins are very limited, so it is easiest to call first.

Then you need to get a business license from the city you are in. I think you can do this for San Jose on line. It is $150.00/year.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 6

I found this thread very helpful. Check this out.
...And Hello from Ventura!
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-664580.html

Samsgranny Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you so much for the phone numbers and link, I really appreciate it!

T.

Samsgranny Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 6

Just a side note...it's amazing to me how many hoops bakers need to jump through, can't even sell cakes from their home and yet I could sell tamales on the street from a push cart!

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

Just a side note...it's amazing to me how many hoops bakers need to jump through, can't even sell cakes from their home and yet I could sell tamales on the street from a push cart!

Only legally if you made them in a commercially approved kitchen, had the appropriate health permit and food handler's license., had an approved push cart, and a business license and insurance. The state is pretty impossible with anything food related.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%