LRH41496 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 10

Ok I have made a batch of frosting.
The recipe is
6-7 cups powder sugar
3/4 cup crisco
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
mix well add extra powder sugar if it increase thickness as needed.

Ok so I made it, it looked great. Added color to it and it's separating badly.
I added a little more powder sugar to it to see if that would help it. It made it thicker but it's still separating.

I am in FL and it's humid and trying to rain here today. My house isn't very warm, I have the temperature at 70 degrees. It's cool outside. I need these cupcakes done in 1.5 hours. I have to have them at my son's school.

Please help.

9 replies
dinascakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

I kind of sounds like indydebi's buttercream recipe, except that hers has milk instead on water. I live in Miami, FL and understand the whole humidity thing, but I've never had a problem with her BC. Look up her recipe, it's titled indydebi's buttercream. It works perfect!! Even with coloring. Good luck!

dinascakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 10

Oh and it also has Dreamwhip in it. You can find that at Publix in the Baking section.

cplfernandez Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 10

I would try adding a little more shortening, to cream it up a bit, turn up your mixer and really work that frosting - force it together!!!!!

LRH41496 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 10

No matter what I've done as soon as I put in in the piping bag it's starts pulling apart. I remixed and add more shortening and powder sugar. I don't have time to run out to the store and buy the dream whip. So I am guessing I am SOL... UGHH This is so frustrating.

cownsj Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 10

If you're up for making another batch, make the Wilton recipe. Just be sure to mix the crisco, water and vanilla until it is incorporated. Then add the rest. In case you need and/or want it, its:

1 Cup solid white shortening
1 tsp. Flavor (Vanilla, almond, etc.)
2 tbls. water (though I always start with more here in NJ)
1 lb. (approx. 4 cups) confectioners sugar
1 tbs. meringue powder
a pinch of salt

Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until all ingredient have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additonal minute or so, until creamy.

for Chocolate Buttercream
Add 3/4 cup cocoa or 3 - 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares, melted, and an additional 1 to 2 tbs. water to recipe. Mix until well blended.

LRH41496 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 10

What can I use in place of meringue powder ? I don't have any on hand and I can not run out and get some at this moment?

mommyle Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 10

Keep adding PS to it. My BC did that, and Debi said that it was from too much fat. Keep adding PS, you should be fine!!!

cownsj Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:39pm
post #9 of 10

Here is a site I found for meringue powder subsitute and how to make meringue to use:

(I do hope that just adding more ps to Debi's recipe will work for you.)

And, I've been reading some posts in the Wilton site and some say they just don't use Meringue Powder at all, but use milk instead of water to make up for it. Here is that site if it helps:

all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 10

3/4 cup of shortening and a 1/2 cup water just doesn't sound right to 6-7 cups powdered sugar. I would place another cup of shortening into the mixer bowl and beat it. Then, incorporate the mixture you have into it along with another cup of powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%