City Hall Meeting Today!

Business By mommabuda Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm by mommabuda

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 5

We are meeting with the Director of Building Inspection/Facilities Manager who is also responsible for zoning today. Is there anything specific that I should bring up while meeting with him? He did say that since our 2nd kitchen would be less than 25% of our entire house's square footage, we shouldn't need to make it a commercial kitchen BUT he hasn't said anything about the zoning changing so I'm going to ask about a variance as well. My husband is coming along so hopefully if he does shut this idea down on me, I won't break down.. lol...

4 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, you DO NEED A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN. That is from the health dept.

Let him know that only people that live in the house will be working there. There will be NO walk up traffic. Every product you make will be delivered. All orders will be over the phone.

Mike

mommabuda Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 5

There are other bakeries added onto houses in our area and they don't have commercial kitchens. There are requirements (like having a 3 basin stainless steel sink & commercial refrigerator) but everything else can be as a regular kitchen.

How about consultations? I will need to meet with people about wedding cakes - wouldn't I do that in my home?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 5

A commercial kitchen is one that is approved by the HD.

For TODAY tell the building inspector all consultations will be over the phone.

They don't want customers coming to your house at all times of the day, and night. The best way is to tell them there will be NO customers here.

Mike

mommabuda Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, very good idea. I suppose there is no way for them to be able to tell if people are actually customers, huh? Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%