What Are Your Thoughts On Satin Ice Fondant??

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 1:27am by jamiekwebb

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 39

I just make my 1st cake with fondant and I used wilton ready made fondant and it seemed to dry out easily and when i was rolling it it seemed to get dry. when i put it on the cake and was smoothing it out it started to over lap in places and make creases and it just seemed so stiff and dry. I have heard that satin ice is way better and I was going to go to my cake decor store tonight and get some. i just wanted to know what your ladies thought about satin ice were. Pros, cons, reviews.

Thanks

38 replies
greengyrl26 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 39

Wilton is horrid!!! Satin Ice is much, much better! Though..beware...if you're used to Wilton, Satin Ice is completely different. Wilton tends to be dryer & you need shortening. Satin Ice is much more wet and you need cornstarch. icon_smile.gif

pattigunter Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 39

If your store sells it I prefer FondX to Satin Ice. Its not as super sweet. Its also really easy to work with.

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 39

thanks for the info. yes i only ised wilton once and i didnt like it. I was watching the video on satin ice website and it seemed so much easier to work with. im going to try it

jammjenks Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 39

I love Satin Ice. I keep it on hand at all times. Their gumpaste is nice too.

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 3:51pm
post #6 of 39

Satin Ice is great. Some fondants taste a bit better, but you can't beat it for price and workability. I used to make fondant, but I have been too busy to make it myself (making 25 pounds of fondant in one day is enough to drive you and your kitchen aid batty). Satin Ice works well and tastes more than fine... sweet and mildly of vanilla.

buttercuppie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 39

I'm personally not a fan of Satin Ice for cakes (cookies yes). I did a cake at my job with it once because we didn't have our regular Albert Uster on hand...now, we always put our cakes in the fridge overnight...it develops a little condensation but about 30 minutes later it would be perfectly fine. The next day the cake with the satin ice was a gloppy mess! The fondant was still on the cake but if you touched it...yuck!

I also found that it tends to crack and get elephant skin really easy...I have to pretty much roll out the fondant and cover the cake in about 3 minutes or less...the other fondant, I had a bit more wiggle room...

...that's just my 2 cents.

aggiechef Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 39

I use Satin Ice if I'm in a pinch (and too lazy to make MMF) because I can get it locally. Personally, I think it's too sweet, but it does handle very well. I prefer Chocopan (if I'm buying) because of the taste and it handles well too. Now I tend to make MMF and I love it.

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:35pm
post #9 of 39

Massa Grischuna (from Albert Uster) would be my #1 choice too, but Satin Ice works fine and it is 1/2 the price. I chill my cakes too, and have never had a cake go goopy on me like that... even in the summer. Maybe you got a bad batch? So odd.

nesweetcake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 39

I'm a huge fan of Albert Uster. Just ordering today and if you use enough or can share with friends, three 13 lb tubs is free shipping. Costs about $73.00 for 13 lbs but is around $5.60 a lb.....better price than Wilton. I use Satin Ice for smaller decorations etc, keep lots of colors on hand and is great so you don't spend a fortune in color (and time) and change consistency by coloring. (PS Nick Lodge uses Albert Uster---instead of his own old brand!) My two cents---hope it helps.

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 39

That's why I use Satin Ice... because of the colors. If Massa came in a rainbow of colors I'd switch in a heartbeat... even suck up the extra cost, but I wouldn't want some tiers to be Satin Ice and others be Massa. I do love Massa, but I hate coloring fondant even more. Lighter shades are fine, but red, black and all darker colors... no thanks. Maybe I'm just lazy... icon_lol.gif.

aggiechef Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:14pm
post #12 of 39

I don't particularly like coloring dark shades of fondant either. I guess I'm just a wimp, but my arms always feel like limp noodles after kneading fondant that much. icon_confused.gif

buttercuppie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 39

I have a bit of Satin Ice at home and will probably ice a tiny cake and throw it in the fridge...see if I get that "gloppy" problem again...I would probably use Satin ice a bit more...if just for the really dark colors if I knew I was going to have that problem again...we'll see.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattigunter

If your store sells it I prefer FondX to . Its not as super sweet. Its also really easy to work with.

Same here...I have found Satin Ice has gotten very soft since the no transfat recipe hit the market. Fondx doesnt have that vanillie strong flavor either.

tab_stout Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #15 of 39

While on the subject of Satin Ice. Does anybody know how long it's good in the freezer? I was thinking about ordering some, but I don't use it that often and don't want it to go bad.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:32pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

I'm a huge fan of Albert Uster. Just ordering today and if you use enough or can share with friends, three 13 lb tubs is free shipping. Costs about $73.00 for 13 lbs but is around $5.60 a lb.....better price than Wilton. I use for smaller decorations etc, keep lots of colors on hand and is great so you don't spend a fortune in color (and time) and change consistency by coloring. (PS Nick Lodge uses Albert Uster---instead of his own old brand!) My two cents---hope it helps.

I spend 36.00 for a 15 lb pail of Bakels and Fondx. I agree, Uster is better tasting, but workabilty is about the same and the price is so much lower! Even Satin Ice is 55.00 for a 20 lb pail. Have no idea how much Wilton is, as I don't consider it a food product! icon_biggrin.gif

Larkin121 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercuppie

I have a bit of at home and will probably ice a tiny cake and throw it in the fridge...see if I get that "gloppy" problem again...I would probably use a bit more...if just for the really dark colors if I knew I was going to have that problem again...we'll see.

I've used Satin Ice for the last few cakes and they have all gone in the fridge overnight with no condensation or gloppy issues. Maybe it was a one time thing for you? Or maybe your fridge has higher humidity?

My only complaint with Satin Ice is that it seems to crack when I put it on the cake...the very edges at the top. I think it dries very quickly, which is AWESOME when doing figures and stuff like that, but I wish I had a bit more time to work with it on a cake.

mandymakescakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:46pm
post #18 of 39

If kept wrapped in it's bag and shut tight in it's container, Satin Ice will keep at a cool room temperature for up to a year. It does not need to be frozen... I don't know if it can be actually.?

creatingcakes Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:48pm
post #19 of 39

I love Satin Ice, but have found that in order to cover a cake with the colored fondant and not have terrible 'elephant skin', if I knead shortening in with it, it covers just fine! As long as you knead it a bit, it doesn't crack at all-

nesweetcake Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 5:51pm
post #20 of 39

lorimoms, where do you get 15 lb for $36. Would you mind sharing....I find for around $63????? Would love to try for that price!!!! Thanks in advance.

greengyrl26 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:33pm
post #21 of 39

I don't know about the freezer...but Satin Ice has a shelf life of roughly a year, if kept in an air-tight container.

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 6:51pm
post #22 of 39

AAAAAAAAAACK! Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! I was forced to buy Satin Ice last week for a cake (everything else was sold out - hmmmm...wonder why?) and I fought with that stuff for an hour - just trying to cover ONE tier - before I gave up. Ended up trashing it after I yanked it off my cake and used another medium.

My experience with it is that it dries out at the drop of a hat and gets elephant skin very easily, it tears, and it tastes gross. I hate Satin Ice!!!

My preference is ChocoPan, Fondarific or homemade MMF. I haven't had any problems with these brands...and they taste good!

Did I mention I hate Satin Ice??? icon_cry.gificon_mad.gificon_cry.gif

prterrell Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:08pm
post #23 of 39

I love Satin Ice. I use it whenever I need fondant. Easy to work with, tastes great.

heddahope Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:04pm
post #24 of 39

I used Satin Ice for the first time this past weekend. I ordered the black and red because I was tired of doing MMF in those shades. I thought it worked well, but I found it had a real chemical taste. JMHO. I only used it for decorations, not to cover a whole cake so I can't comment on that.

PinkZiab Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:18pm
post #25 of 39

I love Satin Ice, and use it exclusively. It handles wonderfully, tastes pleasant, and I stock it in every color that they make and blend those together to make my custom shades. The fact that I don't have to mess around with pastes and gels to get all of my custom colors makes it worth every penny!

sillywabbitz Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:46pm
post #26 of 39

Someone on here I think posted they use a 2 to 1 ratio of Satin Ice mixed with Wilton fondant for added work-abaility. Has anyone tried that? It would also help cut the cost for large cakes.

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:47pm
post #27 of 39

I found Chocopan (at least the chocolate version) difficult to work with. It was too stiff and didn't smooth nicely. Maybe the white and color versions are different? I never have a problem with elephant skin with Satin Ice. While I will agree that it has an odd smell when you first open it, it doesn't taste odd. To me anyway. I think it's a nice middle of the road fondant. The workablility is nice and the price is great. (and it's MILES better than Wilton... LOL)

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:53pm
post #28 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesweetcake

lorimoms, where do you get 15 lb for $36. Would you mind sharing....I find for around $63????? Would love to try for that price!!!! Thanks in advance.

Ck Products. 37.25 for a 15 lber. And if you have an account with them, its even cheaper. (that is a 30 day net account)

Also, if your order fondx directly from Caljava and order 200 worth you get free shipping.

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:54pm
post #29 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratch

I found Chocopan (at least the chocolate version) difficult to work with. It was too stiff and didn't smooth nicely. Maybe the white and color versions are different? I never have a problem with elephant skin with . While I will agree that it has an odd smell when you first open it, it doesn't taste odd. To me anyway. I think it's a nice middle of the road fondant. The workablility is nice and the price is great. (and it's MILES better than Wilton... LOL)

Put your Chocopan in the microwave for a teeny bit. Makes it very easy to work with!

loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:55pm
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Someone on here I think posted they use a 2 to 1 ratio of mixed with Wilton fondant for added work-abaility. Has anyone tried that? It would also help cut the cost for large cakes.

Yeck, Plastic Satin Ice icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%