Multitasking Question Or Which Wedding To Choose???

Decorating By tcher97 Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm by newmansmom2004

tcher97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcher97 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 1:35pm
post #1 of 3

My husband is the best man at a summer outdoor wedding on the groom's family's farm about 1-1 1/2 hours from our home. The couple is thinking of doing a sweets table instead of a traditional wedding cake. They may want a small cake just to have a cake to cut into. The wedding is a little more casual (ie-it will be a pig roast and the groomsmen will wear khakis and a tie), and only 50-60 people will be in attendance.

Here is the challenge- We are going up to the farm the day before the wedding with our son who will be 21 months at the time. There is a kitchen at the farm, but my husband will be performing best man duties, and there may not be anyone to take care of my son while I prepare desserts.

Meanwhile, there is potential to have a cake order for another wedding of 50-60 people on the same day at least an hour from the wedding we are attending.

Does anyone have advice on how I can make this all work, or would it just be a recipe for disaster? How much in advance can I make cake/desserts and keep them fresh for both or even just one wedding? And if so, how do I do it?

Lastly, does anyone have ideas on what I can make for a sweets table that would be slightly more elegant than a family picnic but also hold up in heat?

I almost forgot to mention that I make cake from our small condo with a refrigerator that is just slightly larger than standard size.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you have to offer!

2 replies
AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 3

Arghhhh!!!! I consider myself a champion multi-tasker, but this is too much! Something, or everything, will have to fall apart. But if you do decide to try and be the Superwoman of Cakes, here are some ideas.

-Hire a teenager to come and watch your son for the day.

-Bake and freeze both cakes.

-How are you transporting the cakes? Don't forget you will need a lot of your tools, too.

-Encourage your friend to go with the "sweets table" idea. Most of that can be made and packaged and frozen.

Good luck!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 3

Dont' do it!! You'll be stressed enough being in a strange place with a young child, in unfamiliar kitchen territory, and possibly doing whatever baking or cooking you'll be doing for the sweets table. Leave yourself some time for emergencies that might come up or any last-minute requests from the wedding party or last-minute trips into town for forgotten ingredients, etc. It'll be a much nicer time if you can enjoy the event and not be stressed out by overdoing it.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%