How Long Can Fondant Be Stored?

Decorating By Preezie Updated 2 Feb 2010 , 6:57am by Preezie

Preezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Preezie Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:55am
post #1 of 6

Hi. I often use store bought fondant to make cake toppers and end up with leftovers....please can someone tell me how long fondant can be stored once opened and what the correct way to store it is? I did try searching for this answer on CC but couldn't find any info. Any assistance would be much appreciated icon_smile.gif I'm still fairly new to cake decorating and have loads to learn!

5 replies
Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 6

I vacuum seal mine with a Foodsaver and it stays fresh along time --months. If I just try to wrap it back up in the bags and buckets it dries out too much to last more than a few weeks.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 6

Roll it in a ball or log then rub some crisco on the outside of it. Wrap in plastic wrap then put in a zip lock bag or airtight container. Commercial fondant in my opinion is good until it is hard.

Preezie Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:09am
post #4 of 6

Thanx Guys! Appreciate the suggestions icon_biggrin.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 4:35am
post #5 of 6

i have some in freezer... been there for at least a year.. i wrap really good with saran wrap.. then put in freezer bag.. i roll it up in several logs.. wrap with saran. then put all in freezer bag.. get out what i want. do g/p the same way.hth

Preezie Posted 2 Feb 2010 , 6:57am
post #6 of 6

Thank u icer101icon_smile.gif I had no idea you could freeze fondant, let alone for that long! I love the fact that so many of the more experienced CC users are willing to share their knowledge with newbies like me....thanx again 2 u all, & have a super day!!!(or evening depending on where u are!)icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%