In Need Of Advice.....

Decorating By noahsmummy Updated 1 Feb 2010 , 10:17am by noahsmummy

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 8:41am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am just beginning to get started with cake decorating ( have a look at my photos to see what i can do so far... haha). I think ive mastered ginger bread houses, have been making them for a few years now, and have always loved baking.. you could say its in my blood..have 3 pastry chefs in my family already..lol.

Anyway, what i wanted to know is, what tools do you recommend getting? Im on a very very tight budget (single mummy studying as well.. ) but a few people have recommended i do this as a side business.. i do not feel like im nearly close to that level.. (the cakes on here are AMAZING!!!!! thumbs_up.gif ) So anyway, im doing as many practise cakes as i can atm, have 3 to do this month.. which im pretty excited about! have mastered techniques that dont require special euip.. ie, royal icing tiaras.. icing with buttercream.. etc etc.

Buuuut. im keen to learn about fondant and sugartcraft (gumpaste flowers etc). But every tutorial i see needs all these different tools. =/
So, just wondering if you can make do without some, and just get the main ones? if so, what are the main ones? haha. so far i have 2 p[iping bags, a few different sized star and round nozzles, a #70, #104 and #366 tip.

im sorry for this huge rant, but i get so inspired looking at everyones gorgeous work! i just want to get right into it too!

any suggestions much appreciated..thanks heaps. icon_smile.gif

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:39am
post #2 of 4

Hi Noahsmummy!

The basics for gumpaste making are a set of about 5 tools. You can buy really cheap beginner sets, then there's Wilton-type sets, then there are the REALLY good tools (Either acrylic or metal) which can cost about $20 each (in Australia that is, undoubtedly cheaper in the USA and UK). If you want to play around a bit, just get a basic kit with balling tools in two sizes, a dogbone, scribe, and pointy ended ones that make the centres of flowers (forge tthe name!). That'll cost less than $10.

There are a bunch of Aussies here on CC, please ask whenever you need 'local knowledge'. There are heaps of good online shops that can send you out equipment,plus a few reliable sellers on eBay, where you can pick up stuff cheap.

GP can get expensive to play with - if you are experimenting you can make your own, or add powdered gum to your fondant.

There are plenty of FREE tutorials here on CC and also on YouTube!! Just google it icon_smile.gif

And Cake Decorating shops often are a wealth of (free) information, and also run classes a lot of the time.

At this stage of your career, I would not advise investing a lot in silicone moulds or every cutter on earth. A good cutter set to start with is various double sided rose leaf/petal cutters (sold in sets). And if you get a roller-cutter tool you can cut ANY shape petal or leaf you want.

Another tip is to buy second hand flower-making textbooks wherever you can, start with the basics and practice practice practice!!

Good luck sweetie, you sound like you have a lot of folks wanting your work already icon_smile.gif

- Eve

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 9:44am
post #3 of 4

Oh, I knew I'd forget something - you'll need a small non-stick board or mat, a floppy mat (to put rolled and cut bits of GP under to prevent drying out), and a cornflour bag to dust with - use a couple brand new knee-high stockings, wash them, dry then fill one with a cup of corn flour. Pop into a second knee high, and then knot the top. Keep in a lidded container, and use it for any time you need a dusting ogf cornflour icon_smile.gif

For some flowers you'll need wires, but there are a lot you can start with that do not use wires! A package of wires costs about $4.50.

A great deal of my equipment for moulding and setting flowers and 3D modelling is re-used/recycled stuff like cardboard tubing, apple box trays, egg cartons and wire stands to hang flowers from. The best things in life are free....and make me feel better about the vast amount of money I do spend on my craft every month, LOL!!

noahsmummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noahsmummy Posted 1 Feb 2010 , 10:17am
post #4 of 4

thanks for your help!! verrry much appreciated.. i have just spent some time on ebay.. but had to get away from the computer for a bit because my butt went to sleep... hahahaha. oh well you get that i suppose!
And yes, i have been experimenting with my home made fondant and pastillage.. just need to find some tyragonoth.. saw some on ebay cheap! yay! also have just got a few gumpaste flower books for $3 on ebay.. gotta love a bargain!

thanks again soo sooo much for your help!

have a lovely day/night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%